• VIP
Hi - we've started learning Makaton at the Portage group - we sing and sign nursery rhymes and I've found it really easy to pick up. Yes, Justin on Something Special uses Makaton signing. Jack is picking up bits and pieces and our Portage lady said there are some good books to start you off - keep meaning to look on Amazon but haven't got round to it yet!

• VIP
makaton signing books are available on loan from our local library. your local deaf society will also run classes for british sign launguage a lot of the signs are the same. makaton was originally developed from british sign language for children with disabilities. my speech therapist came to my home one evening for an introduction to signing all my extended family came along! there are also dvds available from early learning centre titled sing and sign, the idea is to introduce signing slowly using one sign per sentence.

• Administrators
Where abouts are you as there are a few local organisations who run makaton courses.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(03-21-2010, 05:54 AM)Daniel Wrote: Where abouts are you as there are a few local organisations who run makaton courses.

we live in orpington/bromley but it all comes under bromley bourough concil

• Administrators
A car ride away but here is one:
The Parents Advice Centre (PAC): 85 Harford Street,
E1.
0207 364 6489.
Has a Mixed SEN parents Drop-in Thursday’s 10-12.
Mainly parents with Children with autistic spectrum disorder
and similar disabilities.
Also run Makaton courses and as a parent they are only £10 Smile
Obviously dependent if you can travel and sort out a sitter but they maybe in the day so you would have to call.
They also run various other community groups across the area and i remember them running on in Bromley but cannot be sure so worth checking.

You can also find out where you local course maybe using the following Makaton website:
http://www.makaton.org/training/trg_info.php
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE