• Established member
i am new and just registered here now. My son adam is 8 and he has always had issues at school from pre-school age onwards. We have tried a number of programmes to help him and nothing really has helped.

We are trying to get him assessed for autism as he shows many signs he is on iep, his academic levels show he is at level age 6 years for reading.
We had a review today for his iep and we had been in touch with CAHMS to get him refered for autism and after waiting 6 months to see them they said they cant refer him to be assessed for autism and that the ed. pyschologist has to do it or the school.
However the ed pych said today its not her job and the school hasnt referred him either .

We are so desperate i havent slept all week my head is thumping i wish i could just jump off a bridge with my son and this way everyone would be happy.
What should i do and where shall i go?
There is a place called kirklees autism outreach in dewsbury but i cant just go there with him it has to be referal.
Could anyone please advise i dont know how long i can carry on like this please

• Administrators
Hi and welcome to the forum! I was under the impression that CAMHS could do an assessment and diagnose themselves....do you actually see anyone from camhs? i think its harder to get them assessed when they are older but if you go to your GP and asked to be refered then they should be able to do it for you. The thing is, they do take reports from the school which is sooooo frustrating because if the school don't have a problem, they seem to take the schools word for it and not really look much further without alot of pushing! there are some people on here who have older children that have just been diagnosed with ASD/aspergers who may be able to advise you exactly how it all works when they are older.

The school should really be taking you seriously though, as it is obvious he needs help if he has an ed psych, speech and language problems and 1 to 1.....how exactly can they not!?

If you know somewhere such as the outreach place that will assess ask your GP to be refered there.....they should do it!

xx

• Registered
(03-10-2010, 01:36 AM)aadams.mum Wrote: i am new and just registered here now. My son adam is 8 and he has always had issues at school from pre-school age onwards. We have tried a number of programmes to help him and nothing really has helped.

We are trying to get him assessed for autism as he shows many signs he is on iep, his academic levels show he is at level age 6 years for reading.
We had a review today for his iep and we had been in touch with CAHMS to get him refered for autism and after waiting 6 months to see them they said they cant refer him to be assessed for autism and that the ed. pyschologist has to do it or the school.
However the ed pych said today its not her job and the school hasnt referred him either .

We are so desperate i havent slept all week my head is thumping i wish i could just jump off a bridge with my son and this way everyone would be happy.
What should i do and where shall i go?
There is a place called kirklees autism outreach in dewsbury but i cant just go there with him it has to be referal.
Could anyone please advise i dont know how long i can carry on like this please

Hello,

I think you have been given the wrong advice. My daughter was referred to the local community paediatrician by her Health Visitor and this is where an autism assessment was undertaken. I know Adam is too old to have a health visitor now but please go to your GP and ask him/her.

You must never think that the world would be a better place without you and you need to talk to someone about this too.

Good luck. Take care. x

• Established member
thank you so so much for your words of comfort and help.i wil be seeing the GP again to have adam refered again and perhaps for dyspraxia too as the school has mentioned it too me.

• Administrators
Just to confirm what the others have said the GP will be able to refer you for assesment.
You mentioned you were under Cahms in a previous post correct?
What are CAHMS involved in at the moment?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE