• Administrators
(10-17-2009, 10:46 AM)bessie Wrote: One day when I have a spare hour I will tell you about my trial and tribulations trying to get help with holiday activities for my son - he cannot cope with the change in routine and is very hyperactive in the holidays and also doesnt sleep at all at night (due to the above) so I literally have to spend 24hrs a day awake for 14 days or so at a stretch! This has been going on for years & I've tried everything - CAF panels, etc - I just get fobbed off and chased around in circles - Everyone refusing any nursery funding saying there are LOADs of activities (there are NONE!). This happens EVERY holiday & I'm just going through it now again for the 1/2 term. I will tell you about it sometime - you will not believe some of it!
Hi Bessie,
Are you on tax credits at all?
If not ive put a new article about Direct Payments in the Benefits section explaining that you can use this for nursery placesSmile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
I am constantly reading how difficult it is to get help with DLA, or get the right level, and part of the supposed reason for this is because of fraud. I find this outrageous, not because it doesn't happen, but why should children be penalised because of this? Have you ever heard of fraud being committed in this way? I haven't, but when they 'tighten up' the rules it affects everybody who claims.

I have worked all my adult life but had to stop because of my son's condition, as childcare during the holidays would be impossible, and as I worked as a carer before and after school care was a problem also. In effect my DLA and Carer's Allowance is a substitute for me being unable to work.

I've been incredibly lucky as I have had no problems claiming (so far), but why should you have to almost beggar yourself and jump through hoops practically? Daniel you are absolutely spot on with your post - we missed out on Carer's Allowance for 8 months because we didn't know about it. There's just not enough clear information out there on what you are entitled to.

• VIP
Ok I stand corrected, totally shocked. I've just been reading an appalling story - a mother (and I use the word mother loosely) has been charged with claiming benefits for six years ! claiming her son was disabled when there was nothing wrong with the boy. How did this happen? I truly despair sometimes Sad

• Administrators
Maggie and Bessie,
In regards to holiday clubs and childcare look at Direct payments this should really help you both out.
I was trying to think if we could use it for anything but problem is we just dont trust anybody else with his care,he went to nursery for ten months but pulled him out because they was not meeting his care needsConfused
So now full time madnessCool
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(10-17-2009, 03:21 PM)MaggieMay Wrote: Ok I stand corrected, totally shocked. I've just been reading an appalling story - a mother (and I use the word mother loosely) has been charged with claiming benefits for six years ! claiming her son was disabled when there was nothing wrong with the boy. How did this happen? I truly despair sometimes Sad
Hi MM, I read about that today and was absolutely horrified that she actually let him have a major operation to have a feeding tube fitted. I felt sick to my stomach that a 'mother' could put her child through all of this. Disgusting and complete child abuse.Angry