• Administrators
Just wondering if you established about the income question in regards to nursery fees.
As do remember these fees are directly for nursery payments and are not a part of household income?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(04-09-2010, 03:24 PM)Daniel Wrote: Just wondering if you established about the income question in regards to nursery fees.
As do remember these fees are directly for nursery payments and are not a part of household income?

I am seeking clarification on this from my colleagues, I will post again when I know. I haven't forgotten, don't worry!

• VIP
(04-12-2010, 07:58 AM)Family Fund Wrote:
(04-09-2010, 03:24 PM)Daniel Wrote: Just wondering if you established about the income question in regards to nursery fees.

I am seeking clarification on this from my colleagues, I will post again when I know. I haven't forgotten, don't worry!

Thank you for your query regarding the Fund's new criteria.

Previously, the Fund's eligibility criteria took account only of earned income from working families. Families whose income was made up solely from benefits were automatically eligible and did not need to meet any income limit. Although created with the best of intentions, this rule effectively penalised some working families in favour of those whose income was solely from benefits. We have been in the very unwelcome position of having to turn down working families earning even £23,100 (before tax) while helping those whose benefits may total £40,000 or more.

Because of this we have made one income limit that applies to all,- and count all the money coming into the household, except for Child benefit, Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance. If the money a family has coming in is at or less than the limit they are able to make an application. For working families we count the net pay (after tax and National insurance have been taken off). For all families, we count all tax credits, benefits and other sources of income, such as maintenance, rental income or interest from savings.

Having a fixed and limited pot of money means that the Fund is unable to help all families who care for a disabled child. Although some families may no longer be eligible for help, we are already finding that many new families are and that we are therefore helping those families who are on the lowest of incomes and we are targeting our limited funds fairly. We appreciate your thoughts regarding the care element of CTC and we can assure you we are trying to treat families fairly. As an example a family who do not receive the care element of CTC and have had to pay for nursery costs through increased earnings, (e.g.£26k of net) would also be outside of our criteria, and it would be unfair to that family if we excluded the child care element within our income definition.

Like all changes, the Fund will be monitoring very closely the new criteria and will continue to collate and review feedback from both organisations and families to try and provide much needed help to those families who need it the most.

Best wishes,
Family Fund

• Administrators
Here is an example:
A couple works and earns a very basic wage and between income and tax credits bearing in mind an element of tax credits is for NURSERY FEES ONLY may pay approx £6000 per year in nursery fees but the person is happy with this as it gives an element of respite.
They have 2 children lets say.
So the total income taking away the nursery fees would be around the 20k mark for 2 people and 2 children.

So a lower income working family would be far worse off than a family without childcare.
So as soon as them children attend school then will be entitled to family fund even though they will actually have NO EXTRA MONEY OR LESS MONEY than before they just wont be paying anything towards nursery fees?
This current system does appear to penalise working families on a lower income and actually make the system unfairer for working people.
The whole reason family fund say they have changed the policy is to MAKE IT FAIRER FOR WORKING PEOPLE although this is a clear case on how the new system actually MAKES IT WORSE for families who are working.

Could you let me know who is the best person to contact to discuss this prior to making it a full campaign and use of the press to highlight this massive let down to working families who need assistance yet are deprived of basic help.

Why will family fund NOT EXCLUDE the childcare fees paid by tax credits as this is NOT INCOME the people actually recieve.

• Administrators
Just noticed Famly fund were online and wanted to bump this Smile