• VIP
Hi, well i was having a think yesterday about sending Seliona for swimming lessons but then thought about it abit more and realised that im not sure she would be able to go to "normal" swimming lessons. Her and my older daughter, Selda, both go to a dancing class on a Tuesday night and although my older daughter is really good, Seliona is not so good and she finds it really hard to concentrate and keep up, even with the yougner children. So, soon Selda will be moving up to the next classes which are on at a different time, and i thought maybe instead of taking Seliona to the dancing still to send her to swimming lessons. She has no fear of the water at all, so in a way it will do her good because then if she decides she is just going to jump in she will be able to swim! I took her once and she was in a rubber ring, i was pulling her around behind me and i heard Selda shouting, i turned round to see Seliona wasnt in the rubber ring any more and was under the water!!! I had a look on our council website for swimming lessons but it doesnt mention anything about children with special needs, and im not sure she will be able to do it with "normal" children, as she doesnt listen properly and does what she wants to do- a typucal autistic child lol. So does anyone know if there are lessons for children with special needs or would she have to go to normal lessons? I could teach her myself, but i dont really know the best way of doing it.

• Moderators
do you have a social worker? we have outreach worker who takes matt swimming though he does go twice a week with college, once on site and once at local pool. i would try phoning your local baths as they might have a programme already in place for s/n Children or would perhaps allow you or a personal assistant to be there with your daughter. i think it depends on your area what is available. if you dont have a social worker try phoning the council children and young persons services as they will have the information as well.
corinne 25

not sure but can you get direct payments? these can be used to pay for someone to take your daughter swimming (personal assistant)
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
my children all have swimming lessons 3 of the 4 are in mainstream lessons and 1 is in a disability group. Our local pool offers disability lessons as does our swimming club. inclusion is there policy so they will get put in with the main lessons as soon as they are able. I know a lot of other clubs offer the same level of support. Our pool just held the disability gala for anyone who wanted to take part with a disability, people came from all over. It was great adults and children all mixed together and had the best time ever, there was no pressure to win everyone got a medal and cirtificate for taking part. I have found swimming really useful to help fill there spare time and it doesnt cost much, infact we now get funding through extended schools budget. Its worth asking your childs school if they can offer financial support. through swimming my son joined life saving club he has recently gained his bronze medalion he is also autistic but in the pool he is just like everyone else he has a very supportive coach which helps.Ihope you find a club that suits your dd needs and then she will learn to swim and keep safe around the water.

• VIP
thanks for the replies. We dont have a scoial worker, we dont get any help at all, even though i could do with some sometimes! What are direct payments? (sorry if i sound stupid i have never heard of them before!). I will have to get in touch with our local swimming pool then and see what they say, i cant find anything on the council website or their website either so maybe it will be best just to go in and talk to them as its only 10 minutes away

• Registered
(02-17-2010, 04:29 PM)sarahponari Wrote: thanks for the replies. We dont have a scoial worker, we dont get any help at all, even though i could do with some sometimes! What are direct payments? (sorry if i sound stupid i have never heard of them before!). I will have to get in touch with our local swimming pool then and see what they say, i cant find anything on the council website or their website either so maybe it will be best just to go in and talk to them as its only 10 minutes away

Hi I don't know where you live but I take my son to a company called 1-2-1 in hasland near chesterfield. It is expensive but he has the pool to himself with his teacher for half an hour concentrated swimming. He is autistic and hated the noise of a swimming pool until now. In three weeks he has gome from clinging to the side to floating on his back alone. They are very good. Maybe there is something like this near you? I googled private swimming lessons and it came up with this place. xx