• Administrators
To echo other members thoughts the method used was extreme,but saying that what is considered the right way.
I just couldnt imagine feeling that alone and depressed to be at this stage but some people have it much worse and i can imagine why they get beyond help.
I think something has to be learned from this and Parental carers need more safeguards but typical of our goverment nothing will change.
They will spend millions on an inquiry and say ok we will try to learn,when that bleeding money could have been spent on supporting parents with respite and other services.
Seem's we in Birmingham are under the Cosh so to speak with Birmingham city council annoucing 2000 yes thats right 2000 jobs to save £75 million and guess what departments are being hit Childrens services which covers chld protection,social services,respite care,youth clubs etc......
And apparently this is the begining of instructions from Central goverment.

I understand that all the parties need to make cuts after the shambles of the Labour party but really Childrens services which is meant to protect the nations most vunerable?
Why not scrap the St Patricks parade and the yearly Lord Mayor jollies in which he invites over 300 for a banquet.

Its scandalous that money can be cut from childrens services and this is going to happen in every council over the next few years.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Aww bless the poor boy!
My thoughts and prayers are with hes brother who remains in care of SS.. Bet hes mind is all over the show!
Xx

• Administrators
From a parents point of view what would everybody say would push somebody to the edge like this?

• VIP
I honestly don't think I could be pushed to the extreme like that, Daniel. I have a vivid memory from about a year ago having a really bad day, no sleep, Children playing up and I'd been trying to work with Jack all day. He'd done nothing but lash out at myself and my daughter, tantruming, refusing to eat, throwing drinks on the floor. I was trying to make the tea and left him in the room for 5 minutes. When I came back he had pooed in his nappy and smeared it everywhere, walls, floor, in his hair, down his clothes. It stunk. I hauled him upstairs and put him in the bath and I remember just sliding down the wall sitting on the floor and sobbing, just saying to myself over and over 'I can't, I can't' (meaning I think I can't go on). What stopped me sobbing was when I realised he was eating the soap. Won't eat proper food, but eats soap. And paper. And muck. Anything off the floor. Crayons. Faeces (sorry if you're eating). Anything he's not supposed to really. But I could never contemplate hurting him. It's not his fault, or my fault, or anyone's. It's just how it is.

After cleaning everything up (thank god for laminate floors Rolleyes ) and getting them off to bed I cried some more, I don't think I can put into words the despair and lonliness I felt (oh working all hours). Nobody knows what was going on in this woman's mind, but I read today that the family were deemed as 'the neighbours from hell' and comparisons were made towards the two boys from Doncaster recently sentenced. This lady had two disabled Children for god's sake, they weren't feral Children. What does it say about us as a nation, why don't people care more?

My greatest worry is when he grows up that, by the nature of his disability he'll be seen as some sort of freak show, his odd behaviours will mark him as different. This lady hardly ever took them out apparently. With no support, maybe that's why. It's all speculation on my part, maybe it wasn't like that for her but the combination of no family support, partner, 2 disabled Children, god knows what was going through her mind.

For me no professional help can replace genuine, caring support from family, and I've also read on here that's what is missing from a lot of struggling parents, and with a disabled child that need is even greater.

Sorry if I've blathered on a bit, but this government needs to wake up and get a grip and realise that cutting services is only going to make tragic stories like this more common but I won't hold my breath.

• Administrators
(02-12-2010, 06:12 AM)MaggieMay Wrote: Sorry if I've blathered on a bit, but this government needs to wake up and get a grip and realise that cutting services is only going to make tragic stories like this more common but I won't hold my breath.

I agree with you whole heartly.
You also mention
(02-12-2010, 06:12 AM)MaggieMay Wrote: This lady had two disabled Children for god's sake, they weren't feral Children. What does it say about us as a nation, why don't people care more?
Well i done myself proud yesterdayBlush
I was in Asda and there was a littleboy hitting his mum and really laying into her and crying and screaming for at least 30 minutes and they were on the next aisle and a woman on the same aisle as me an old lady says to me"You think they would learn to control the Children and give them a belt" at first i tried my best to ignore it but then from within i couldnt help it and i simply turned to the lady and said "You know it might not actually be anyones fault why he is behaving this way" Fight Fight

She looked at me and didnt say anything and just walked away at a brisk paceConfused
But i know that feeling where im running and running around Asda to the sound of Euan screaming and having to cut the shopping short just to get out of there for his and my sake and also worrying about what others think.
Peoples attitudes on the whole in todays society are just ignorant but saying that have they ever been not ignorant?
It feels that people just dont want to care anymore quick to critise but when they could do something just turn a blind eye!