• Registered
Hi, I'm deperatly in need of some advice regarding housing.

I brought my 1 bedrrom flat shared ownership in 6 years ago. Since then I've got married had a nearly 5 year old son who has Autisim and also have an 8 month old son.

When my youngest was born we switched our living room which our bedroom so we had a bigger bedroom. But all four of us are sharing the one room, so my bedroom has a double bed, a single bed, a cot bed, two sets of chest of drawers, a wardrobe and countless toys!

Me and my husband had to convert a storage cupboard in our hall for us to use as a wardrobe as we just ran out of room.

My son's badly need there own rooms. My eldest doesn't understand ho to be quiet when my youngest is asleep nor does he understand when the baby is crying and waking him up. As you can imagine I don't get much sleep!! He also need sensory equipment but I have no room, I have tried to adapt his space round his bed with smaller items and lights but it's not the same. And somewhere he can get away from the baby (and us) and have his own space.

I want to become a full time carer for my son but cannot afford to do so as we have a mortgage and part rent to pay, so my husband works days when he comes home he looks after the boys and I go off to work in the evening.

I have called my local council (Southwark) to meet with my local housing officer to see if there is any advice the could give or maybe in I could register for a council property? I started emailing and calling the office 2 weeks ago - I'm still waiting for my appointment! I don't care about losing any money on the house I would gladly hand it over tomorrow to have a bigger property and somewhere that my sons can be happy.

Any advice will be gratefully received - Thanks for reading xx

• VIP
Hi, we had a mortgaged property that was unsuitable for adaptation my son has cerebral palsy non-mobile. we applied to the council and were placed in the lowest band 6 we were not overcrowded. we then had a medical needs application and were moved up to band 2 and placed on the housing list. priority is given here if you have medical needs and are applying for an adapted property we also have the bidding system. we could not put our house up for sale until we were allocated a property.
I never thought it would happen to me.

• Moderators
i would get an application form for a council house and a medical needs form as well as having autism is a reason for needing a room to himself and one bedroom between 4 people (even when children are counted as 1/2) is overcrowding. you could also contact shelter as you are homeless within a home so they should be able to help as well. i dont know how it works with part owned properties regarding selling it but would imagine shelter would have more expertise in this too.
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
hi. i had a simular situation to yours, as i too was in a shared ownership property, and i took me a 4 year battle to get where we are now which is in a lovely 3 bedroom property with all the adaptions we need. i would do all that is said above, put your application in with the local council, and also get the medical needs form in. i also got my local MP involved who wrote letter to both the council and shared ownership company. we had to put our property on the market, and once sold we had to get a loan to cover the sum of negative equity which was £18000 it was then that we were classed as homeless an became top of the housing list and were allocated our property before it came on the housing list. The key thing is persistence, they should reply to you within 30 days,if not send them a polite letter stating you contacted them on ..... dont let them forget about you.

Zilah

• VIP
hi, seems things vary from council to council we were told that if we sold our property before being allocated a council property we would be considered as making ourselves intentionally homeless therefore the council would not have a legal obligation to re-house us. just so you cover all bases check everything out first better to be safe than sorry. also i have previously had a shared ownership property 50% when selling we had the added cost of paying for our own solicitor AND the housing associations solicitor!! they also took 50% of the profits made by the increase in house prices but at least there was a profit. hope this helps
I never thought it would happen to me.