• Established member
Hi, My daughter Abi started in foundation class, with a statement for 25 hours one to one support, in September. She has had a teaching assistant in the morning (dif one in afternoons) who has had input from the class teacher, the Ed Psych and speech therapist. Abi has a speech, language & understanding delay (assesed at 2 yrs 10 months, her actual age is 4 yrs 3 months) caused by a processing problem so has needed to build up a rapport with her one to one and has began to talk a little at school (has taken half a term). However when we took her to school last Monday we were told her one to one had been moved to a different class and had been replaced by a TA Abi had not met before.

Abi's class teacher is very upset at this occurrence as is the TA who has been moved and neither know why the change has happened. We have emailed the head and she has replied with some waffle about there being more needs higher up the school but as Abi still has one to one but now with a stranger this makes little sense to us. We phoned our Ed Psych and she said this was not good and contacted the school but has now come back to us and said she has no power to do anything about the situation. To cap it all our education officer has said it is up to the school how they provide Abi's support!

We feel powerless and cannot understand how the school think this was okay to do especially without any sort of hand over. Please can anyone give us advice who might have power over the school? I know the government has been handing power over to schools but this is scary to think that one woman (we think it's the SENCO who probably wouldn't recognise Abi if she saw her) can do this when all the profs that know Abi agree this is not in her best interests. I am going to speak to a governor next week but she has already said it is likely they cannot help.

Thank you for reading my long post,
Sue

• VIP
I am sorry to say that the professionals you have spoken to are right, the head has control of where she / he puts their staff. However If your daughter has a statement and doesn't know the SENCO then is is not (in my opinion) a good thing. As the SENCO has a say on her care and of she doesn't know her how can she make informed decisions?

If it were me, I would in fact make a face to face meeting with the head and SENCO, you have the right to do this. Take someone with you, a professional maybe? And talk through why they made the decsion they made. I would point out (these are the key words to use) that your childs S&L difficulties are her 'barrier to learning' and changing her one to one becomes a 'barrier to learning'. Explain why. She has to statment to help her overcome this and if the change her TA then they are in fact putting her learning at risk.

If your still not happy then I would consider a change of schools. Your daughter is still young so better to do it now, than wait until she's older and more settled. It does not seem like your daughters needs are comng first, but that of another child futher up the school. Let me know how you get one. x
Maria.

• Established member
Hi Maria
I managed to speak to parent partnership today and they are going to look through Abi's statement to see if the wording includes acting within Abi's interests. They seemed quite worried that the school probably do not know how to teach a child with Abi's needs and have suggested I get the outreach teaching team to visit the school? May have the name wrong as I hadn't heard of this service.

It seems the governors do have power over the SENCO and head but I haven't spoken to them yet as I am meeting the parent partnership tomorrow to go through the statement first.

Thank you very much for answering and I think your suggestion of a meeting at the school is a good one. At the moment I am really angry about the situation so i probably need to calm down a bit first. I am going to see what happens after speaking to PP and the governors before considering a change of school as the head is leaving at the end of the year and a new head has been appointed from April so maybe she will be more special needs friendly. I am sad that the school has such an awful attitude to SEN and that they can get away with it. Thank goodness this board exists as I feel so alone.

Thank you too for the advice on wording I will definitely do that and let you know how it goes.

Sue x

• Established member
Hi Maria
I managed to speak to parent partnership today and they are going to look through Abi's statement to see if the wording includes acting within Abi's interests. They seemed quite worried that the school probably do not know how to teach a child with Abi's needs and have suggested I get the outreach teaching team to visit the school? May have the name wrong as I hadn't heard of this service.

It seems the governors do have power over the SENCO and head but I haven't spoken to them yet as I am meeting the parent partnership tomorrow to go through the statement first.

Thank you very much for answering and I think your suggestion of a meeting at the school is a good one. At the moment I am really angry about the situation so i probably need to calm down a bit first. I am going to see what happens after speaking to PP and the governors before considering a change of school as the head is leaving at the end of the year and a new head has been appointed from April so maybe she will be more special needs friendly. I am sad that the school has such an awful attitude to SEN and that they can get away with it. Thank goodness this board exists as I feel so alone.

Thank you too for the advice on wording I will definitely do that and let you know how it goes.

Sue x

• VIP
A change of head will make a difference, but for the better you won't know until they take the reigns. Keep up the fight and its OK to be angry, I allow the anger to drive me, not overtake me. It drives me to try to make differences and try to change things. Dont get me wrong, I hold my temper, I just hate injustice, children are powerless unless we help them and we are their voice.
Moving schools and changing routene is always the last resort, you've done the right thing.
Let me know the outcome.
Maria.