• VIP
hi, my son is 4 years old and has been diagnosed as autistic. he is fairly high functioning and knows things like his colours and shapes and can count etc.
however - his speech is all negitive. "i cant do it"," i dont want that one"
etc.
is this typical of autism?
i am a positive person and answer his negitives with postitves and also try open questions, but no success so far.
what did you do at nursery? which one do you want? - will all end up with a "no!" or he will just walk off.
does anyone have any experience of similar behaviour? or alternative tactics?
thanks

• VIP
Hello There are confidence issue's with Autistic Children, both my 2 boys both are on the spectrum however they are 9 and 12 now, I suspect my 3 year old has it also. Have you considered approaching a Doctor about speech therapy? here a useful link maybe for you for the time being

http://autism.healingthresholds.com/therapy/speech-therapy

good luck
"Life is greener sometimes on the other side but they still have to cut the grass"

• VIP
hi, thank you - yes my son has speach therepy. he has had 3 full reports. it has been very useful in getting him extras support in other areas too.
however im at a loss as to why my son is ALWAYS negative!
i guess it is just part of his autism?
i keep hoping it is something he will outgrow??
thx

• VIP
Hi, my little girl has autism. Do you think that it might be habit? As my liitle one always says " I don't want apples" but I don't even give her apple as she doesn't like them! But will repeat this on a weekly basis!!

I suppose for a child with autism there are so many things that are negative for them and maybe he just wants to make sure that he is not going to have anything that he doesn't like! And by being negative he is probably making you very aware of what he doesn't like/want and doesn't want to do just incase!
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
Yeah that's a vast word negative My son has had a lot of eating problem's , I would be interests in what things your Son says no too? that would narrow things down a little, I have been through alot of different strageties over that last 5 years although there maybe an array of (No's ) narrowing it down a bit moremaybe of more help , then maybe we could be of more help. I know food has been a Major problem for by 9 year old and I am expecting the same with my 3 year old.
"Life is greener sometimes on the other side but they still have to cut the grass"