• VIP
I don't really understand how DLA works with it's high, and middle rates.
Ben is 5 and has asd, GDD and Moblity problems and we only get middle rate care and low rate moblity. His walking is a nightmaire hates walking and have to drag him everywhere hopefuly when we get our dog from dogs for the disabled that will help, he also has started waking up early in the morning. thursday morning it was 3.15am and this morning it was 1.15am. When he wakes up one of us has to stop there with him and we can't leave him. On Thursday we left him for 5 mins and he pushed his bubble tube over and had 7 litres of water to mop up in his room.
Sammy is 3 and has problems with speech and also mild learning problems, he wakes up in the night once or twice a week but get high rate care for him

• VIP
I do know that to get high rate mobility for a child that is not necesarily "physically" disabled i.e confined to a wheelchair etc is REALLY hard I have just had to FIGHT hard for it for my son. You have to show your child needs high rate care and then that they have severe behavioural problems and that they are severely mentally impaired. They need millions of doctors letters etc. Even then the only reason he got it is because he is severely mentally impaired etc but because he uses a wheelchair 90% of the time outside of the house. They are supposed to becoming even tighter with it as well which I don't agree with but hey.

Low rate mobility is not as strict but they do still need to have significant problems compared to a child of the same age. I think it is pretty much like if they need help during the day you get low care if they need help either in the day or night sometimes you get middle care but if they need help day and night constantly they get high care. My son doesn't sleep more then two hours and is doubly incontinent and needs constant supervision he literally cannot be left for a second so he needs to be changed all through the night and day etc and for that reason without all of his other problems he gets high rate care.

The following information explains the DLA criteria quite well others will be able to tell you more but I find this website helpful so this info should help you .........

The care component can be paid once a child is three months old.
In addition to the first five tests you must show that your child has needs that are "substantially in excess of the normal requirements of persons of the same age"
or
that those needs are substantial and which "younger persons may in normal physical or mental health may also have but which persons of the same age and in normal physical health would not have".
This means that as well as showing that your child has care needs arising from a disability, you must be able to demonstrate that these needs are substantially more than those of healthy children of the same age.
care needs can be either "attention" or "supervision"
"attention" is about needing help from someone else to do personal things that your child cannot do for him or herself
"supervision" is about needing someone else around to ensure that the risk of substantial danger is reduced.
Your child will be awarded the higher rate if his or her care needs require supervision or attention through the day and the night.
The middle rate is awarded to children whose needs occur either during the day or the night
The lower rate is awarded to those children whose needs occur at certain times of the day.
It is important to remember that your child will only be awarded DLA if you can show that his or her needs are much greater than other children of the same age and that those needs require substantially more supervision or attention.
Mobility Component
The mobility component of DLA is payable to children over the age of 5- the criteria for the higher rate is the same as for adults. See our notes section for more details. From April 2001, severely disabled children aged 3 and 4 who have difficulty walking may be able to get the higher rate of DLA for getting around.
Severely disabled is likely to be defined as-
Children with severe learning disabilities,
Children with the most severe forms of autism,
Children with severe cerebral palsy,
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Spinal muscular atrophy;
Congenital myopathies;
Spina bifida; Head injury;
Encephalitis/meningitis;
Spinal cord injury.
Limb Defects.
Brittle bone disease.
Arthritis.
Cardiac and respiratory disorders - particularly broncho-pulmonary dysplasia, but also in the most severely affected children with more common cardiorespiratory disorders e.g. congenital heart disease and asthma.
Sensory impairments - blindness, deafness and with particular problems with those children who are deaf/blind.
To qualify for the lower rate of the mobility component you will need to show that your child needs substantially more guidance than healthy children of the same age.
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• Administrators
hiya, for high rate care you need to require care throughout the day and the night, for instance, with euan, he requires lots of medical support throughout the night aswell as the day and i have to change him and his bed frequently too as his urine output is huge. he also has a pump on overnight which i need to be dealing with.

for mobility, as above, it can be incredibly difficult to get high rate mobility for a child that doesnt necessarily have a walking aid ie pushchair/wheelchair but thats not to say its impossible. aslong as you have the evidence and support from doctors it is possible, perhaps speak with them and then think about putting in for it. are you due a renewall anytime soon?

xx