• VIP
me and my partner just noticed that our six year old daughter has started to stammer/stutter words she has speech problems for quite a long time now...
but now started to stammering
will this be a temporary thing or is this a condition that will stay or get worse ??
any advice please ??

Heart mum of 2 Heart

• VIP
Hi Sweetgiz, is your little girl under a speech therapist? I would get in contact with them and maybe they would be able to help and give some speech activities? X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
well its wierd its only just started since she started her new school
but wondering could she be copying other children
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• VIP
I see what you mean, it sounds likely or maybe trying to get her words out to fast as maybe competing with other children's in class? And then becoming a habit at home to? Have you mentioned anything to school?
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• Administrators
Euan does this at every new speech stage and it can become quite bad at times.
What they suggest is if they stammer dont correct and dont try and stop them.
What we do is if Euan stammers a word we wait for him to finish and then we confirm his desire,

Say for example it was a stammer on the word Bus as a basic example and he was trying to say i want to get on the B-B-B bus what we would do is say "You want to get on the bus" therefore giving him two things
1)Understanding of his sentance reduces frustration
2)We DIY on the speech therapy as we are using the word without the stammer and as such we are using the word as it should be spoken and they will pick up on that.

Its likely its a speech development stage and we go through this frequently and we actually went through it at the begining of the school term again as theres a word explosion as such with all new words being taught and used and also its about them trying to keep up with peers.
Dont worry at the moment and see it as a possible piece of good news that words are being learned at the moment.
Euans episodes can last a few weeks at a time
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE