• Administrators
(02-21-2010, 02:04 PM)Daniel Wrote: Nice plug here.....
But even sites like this enable parents to get to know of others and gain advice and support.

This bit........ Big Grin Big Grin
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(02-21-2010, 02:30 PM)Daniel Wrote:
(02-21-2010, 02:04 PM)Daniel Wrote: Nice plug here.....
But even sites like this enable parents to get to know of others and gain advice and support.

This bit........ Big Grin Big Grin

(02-21-2010, 02:04 PM)Daniel Wrote:
(02-21-2010, 10:47 AM)corinne Wrote: i do think that having a councellor who has even a modicum of understanding of what we go through on a daily basis would be a start, then again i would say the same of social workers, council officers, medical staff, i could go on lol. to go to the doctors and just be handed anti depressants without even looking into if this is what is needed is just one example, i hate the expression "i know how you feel!" because unless you are in my shoes no u flamin dont lol.
i think when i was first told about Matt it would have helped to speak to someone who knew about autistm as i had never even heard of it at the time, i guess in some ways i did see a councellor as i was given a phone number (by a receptionist where i was doing training who happened to have an autistic brother) totally random? and i was put through to a woman who had an autistic son a couple of years older than me who helped me a lot, we went on to become best friends not long after her son lobbed a half end brick at my head hehe and still are 13 yrs later.
corinne

I also think sometimes it just helps to realise you are not alone.
Nice plug here.....
I can imagine it was very hard for you Corinne 15 years ago without the internet and other support sources.

Daniel. I am a bit confused. An e-mail has alerted me to 5 private messages. How do I get them?! It's probably me being dappy. I am useless on the computer!!!!

• Administrators
(02-22-2010, 08:37 AM)Sally Kemp Wrote: Daniel. I am a bit confused. An e-mail has alerted me to 5 private messages. How do I get them?! It's probably me being dappy. I am useless on the computer!!!!
See the top of the page below the sites logo you will see an option called USERCP
Click the text user cp and then it will take you to a new page and on that page you will see a column down the left hand side then click INBOX.

Attached Files Image(s)

• Established member
(02-21-2010, 07:14 AM)Sally Kemp Wrote:
(02-20-2010, 01:26 PM)claire Wrote: Without going into things to deeply my GP is currently trying to access a councellor for me who has specific training in dealing with parents who have disabled children.
Six years post diagnosis and some days things are still as raw as when my little boy was diagnosed.
I cant see your original message atm but do strongly feel that on a personal level that any more counselling I recieve needs to be specific and relevant to the problems we all face daily.
Feel free to pm me

Hi Claire

Thanks for your reply. My original message basically said that I am the mother of a six year old girl with down syndrome and cerebral palsey and that I am studying to be a counsellor. Part of my course is to do a research project and I am doing mine on disability. I was hoping to get ideas from people as to what they think would be useful in the way of couselling for parents of disabled children.

I was very strong at the beginning but feel that I am deteriorating somewhat over the years. The penny's dropped that this is a life time commitment and sometimes the pressure is incredible. When Sammy was a baby it didn't seem so much of a problem as it is not the disablity I have a problem with. Now I am dealing with all the behavioural problems that come with it, I find it a huge problem sometimes. If it wasn't for my mum who has her regularly (but is in her early 70's so can't do it forever) I WOULD BE IN A STRAIGHT JACKET!!!!

I would love to hear more from you. I can't PM as I am new to the site and have to have a certain amount of postings. I'm a bit confused how it all works!!!

Regards

Sally

Hi Sally
I cant pm either yet although
think I only have one more post to make Smile
Your councilling training sounds very interesting and I would certainly be happy to help you with your project but via pm, so we will both have to post a bit more.
Things were very grim for me at one time (well many actually) and I don't really feel comfortable discussing them in public.
I don't know if I am allowed to give you my email address, perhaps if Daniel sees this he might be able to advise, tia Daniel.
Hope to speak to you soon
Claire x

• Administrators
(03-06-2010, 11:26 PM)claire Wrote: I don't know if I am allowed to give you my email address, perhaps if Daniel sees this he might be able to advise
Now you have made the 6 posts you should be fine to private message Smile
Let me know if you have any issues!