• Registered
Hello

My name is Sally and I am the mother of a 6 year old girl called Sammy with downs syndrome and cerebral palsey.

I am currently training to be a counsellor and am doing my research project on disability.

I was wondering if anyone would like to give me your views on what you think should be offered to parents of disabled children in the way of emotional support / counselling etc.

When Sammy was born I thought I didn't need any help in this way but as the years go on I am steadily changing my mind. I find that when I am really struggling emotionally I keep it all to myself as everyone else is too closely involved. If I tell my other half, he worries. If a break down in tears in front of my mum, she won't sleep for a week. If I'm with my friends I just want a break so don't want to talk about it. Therefore I can so clearly see how beneficial a counsellor would be. Somebody who is totally emotionally unattached. Don't get me wrong, my daughter is an absolute darling but as I'm sure you will agree, the hard work is relentless and with exhaustion on top, sometimes things get tough.

I would love to hear your views. Obviously any information put in my research will be totally confidential and no names used.

Many many thanks

• Administrators
Just a thought maybe when counsellors make an intial assesment they identify any additional help and support the parent might be able to access.
For example if a parent was to say they couldnt cope as they struggle with finances and it makes them feel down maybe the counsellor could provide a list of useful information and contacts?
Another example if somebody is so tired and cant sleep maybe talk about respite with them.

So not just offer an ear to bend but also offer a more rounded service where other problems can be resolved.
So helping solve problems would also take some stress away from the person.
Also another thing from a counselling session that should be covered at some point i think is relationships with partners.
Many people say how unsupportives partners can be so working on a relationship as well could bring benefits so maybe one week the couple could come along and then you would be helping that person be a happier person in all aspects of life.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Banned
do you i can do with a counsellor could u do email support sally

• Administrators
(01-28-2010, 04:52 PM)Karen Wrote: do you i can do with a counsellor could u do email support sally
Hi Karen,
If you were looking for email support a very useful contact would be jo@samaritans.org

The samaritans usually reply within 12 hours
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Banned
12 hours ???