• Administrators
When you refer to reasonable distance of walking what sort of distance we talking?
Sorry to hear this!
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

Hi Smile

How strange that you were not notified!

I think the reason you were turned down for mobility element is that you can only get the lower rate for over 5's....higher rate is usually only given to the most physically disabled children who cant walk at all or can walk very little.

I was sent a claim pack for my little one who has autism just before he was about to turn 3 and didnt apply as I knew he wouldnt be entitled to the higher rate. It can be difficult but I just take a buggy with me everywhere.

Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.

• VIP
Thanks for all your replies. Daniel, the 'reasonable' distance is that Jack can walk from the car to the entrance of a building (in their opinion). When I completed the form I put that he could probably walk about 20 yards with supervision and support. I know that he can walk holding my hand in familiar places but my concern is that he doesn't have a 'self save' reflex and if he stumbles or is knocked into by another child/person, he just falls flat on his back/head or face - but they don't take this into consideration. They disregarded his Autism and don't appear bothered that he isn't aware of danger and has a tendancy to wander off if he sees something exciting (cars usually).

I spoke with Contact a Family too and they said that due to 'cut backs' very few children apart from those desperately in need of mobility help, appear to be granted high rate mobility dla. Also our Local NAS rep said that she isn't aware of any autistic child being recently granted dla due to their condition.

Anyway I'm just grateful at the moment for what help we do get and won't be appealing. I'm meeting with a lady from our local Parent Partnership tomorrow about applying to the Council for a mobility badge and have also spoken with our GP who said he is more than happy to write a supporting letter to the Council for Jack. I'm just making sure I keep a firm grip of Jack's hand when I lift him out the car and we are now saving madly for a second hand people carrier due to the height of them, cause trying to get Jack in and out of his car seat is playing havoc with my back and poor Jack even apologises to me when I bang his head getting him into the car! x

• Administrators
(09-28-2011, 07:43 PM)SusieL66 Wrote: Thanks for all your replies. Daniel, the 'reasonable' distance is that Jack can walk from the car to the entrance of a building (in their opinion). When I completed the form I put that he could probably walk about 20 yards with supervision and support. I know that he can walk holding my hand in familiar places but my concern is that he doesn't have a 'self save' reflex and if he stumbles or is knocked into by another child/person, he just falls flat on his back/head or face - but they don't take this into consideration. They disregarded his Autism and don't appear bothered that he isn't aware of danger and has a tendancy to wander off if he sees something exciting (cars usually).

I spoke with Contact a Family too and they said that due to 'cut backs' very few children apart from those desperately in need of mobility help, appear to be granted high rate mobility dla. Also our Local NAS rep said that she isn't aware of any autistic child being recently granted dla due to their condition.

Anyway I'm just grateful at the moment for what help we do get and won't be appealing. I'm meeting with a lady from our local Parent Partnership tomorrow about applying to the Council for a mobility badge and have also spoken with our GP who said he is more than happy to write a supporting letter to the Council for Jack. I'm just making sure I keep a firm grip of Jack's hand when I lift him out the car and we are now saving madly for a second hand people carrier due to the height of them, cause trying to get Jack in and out of his car seat is playing havoc with my back and poor Jack even apologises to me when I bang his head getting him into the car! x
Hopefully the support letters will help with the bluebadge as many councils offer the blue badge for those on higher rate DLA but very few do offer discretion schemes and hopefully yours is one :
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE