• Registered
Hi, Sorry if I ramble on.

We have a special guardianship on my nephew aged 3 in Jan 2012. He has Left Sided Cerebral Palsy due to Maternal drug abuse causing a stroke and withdrawal at birth plus he has been diagnoised with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome viathe Genetics team in St Thomas's in London. He has a multi-team of specialsts including physio, occupation therapist etc. He already get the Middle Rate of Care. Foetal Alcohol is not really listed anywhere but can overlap with Autism, ADHA etc but the agression is usually high on the list of symptom plus impulsive behavior.

He can walk but is unsteady and will trip after about 5 steps as left leg crosses and trips him. He has weakness in his left side generally and the GP has referred for a starter wheelchair as you can't expect him to walk calmly and safely by your side.

He has quite bad behavioral problems, avoids eye contact lots of the time etc. His Neuro has stated that him problems are life long and will probably involve behavior, learning and social disabilities. He also has problems with his gut which has yet to be diagnoised.

We were sent new DLA forms two months ago and filled out the mobility section as told even though he is not three until Jan. They sent letters over this time saying they are writting to GP and Paediatrician etc. and then called me to ask if he had a Physio etc. I read the new Neuro report to him and he asked to see that to which I did.

I suppose my questions are these: Should I have waited until he was three to fill out the form for mobility? Should I consider appealing if he does not get awarded mobility?

Many thanks

• Registered
Hello!

My understanding is that you can send in the information and apply for it before the child is 3 but payments do not start till their 3rd birthday. We were told in advance of my daughters birthday that she would get a mobility payment and what it would be but it didn't start to get paid till she turned 3.
If you don't get it on the info you've sent in, appeal and get some help to fill out the form as sounds like he should get it.
Good luck!
Muffinx

• Registered
Just to say we were awarded the higher rate mobility today so will be able to get a car in Jan.... Quite a relief! Thanks

• VIP
That's great news about the moblity