• Administrators
Where did she get the eyebrows from? kind of a random word.....I can't remember the last time I used it myself!!!! and where does she get the american accent from, the tv? gosh don't let her watch hannah montana.....thats a real country american accent!!!

Lucy xx

• Registered
apparantly the american accent is supposed to be common amongst ASD children, she likes playhouse disney sometimes. she just loves saying things in an american accent - its alway those sayings that stick like 'come on lets go' - is said exactly like dora says it (exact pitch and pauses and tone). 'you did it' or 'i did it'. she will only watch certain cartoons and tunes out everything else. she makes no indication she would like to watch cartoon - say your channel surfing and she is looking at tv and you pass the Children channel she wont make a face or make any noise as if to say i want to watch that. she likes cartoons that have songs in them such as mickey mouse clubhouse, the one that have more or less the same in them. then she takes the sayings and randomly says them later over and over.

eyebrows cames from us trying to learn her eyes, nose and mouth. she did it for a while and she would take your face and trace the eyebrows while saying it, then poke you in each eye then on the nose. but now she refuses to say anything but eyebrows now and its sounds more like 'eyeballs' - lol. she loves counting and can count to 12 perfectly, then she skips on to her fave number '14' and she repeats that over and over. she learns alot of things and you think this is great we are making progress but then she never does it again. which doesnt bother me as she will do it when she is ready - the main thing in our house is fun and laughter and if that consists of bouncing on the bed shouting 'im peppa pig' and it gets me eye contact and even a cuddle and a kiss. at the mintute its 'special agent oso' which she loves the song for, i have the words bobbing around my head all the time.

• Registered
My son developed his speech through echolalia like this as well and gradually he learnt more and more phrases and then to use them in the correct context so his speech is quite ordinary to the untrained observer now. The giveaways are that he will make up names for things, not understand very well or insist on certain phrases being used or its not "right" and I have to say it again! He was very fond of the scottish accent because of Balamory and used to insist that I said "its a sunny daaee" in a scottish accent rather than "its a sunny day" or would get really cross lol! He started copying my phrases back and would say to me things like "want do you want some juice?" meaning that he wanted me to say "Do you want some juice?" so that he could say "yes" as he was unable to ask me for juice. I found it helpful to stick to exactly the same words each time. I agree about getting the contact - its so precious you will do anything for it!

• Registered
yes if i want my daughter to do something i have to talk to her in her american sayings and she does it right away. if i spoke to her normally it would be as if i never spoke.

my son who also has autism/adhd and speech and language disorder - cant ask for a drink, he nearly 6 and he will say hes starving instead of saying he thirsty. mostly he'll just ask for boc boc.

although he was holding my hand and walking on the curb edge and he said 'i'm balancing' - it was a very proud moment. it sounded so natural and very grown up instead of the way he usually speaks which is like a toddler.

my daughters echolalia is starting to be in context sometimes, so im guessing thats how she may commuincate when she gets older.

• Registered
When I was looking it up I remember it saying that echolalia is a typical stage of speech development in all children its just that with ASD children can stay in it for a lot longer. I think it was on the semantic pragmatic disorder group website - the forum bit has closed down now but all the information on speech and language is still on there I think.