• Registered
not sure if this is in the right place, feel free to move it.

i have attended speech therapy with my son since he was 2 years old, now nearly 6 and he has it within the school setting. i know they do there bests and it must not be easy for them. my son has never really benefitted from speech and lanuage. in the early appointments they were held as groups in a room and my son just couldnt stay away from the tape recorder and camera, he couldnt sit with the others and it was awful and stressful. we still went as the doctor said it was his main problem and causing all his other behaviours.

nearly 4 years on, and there isnt nothing he cant say. he can go into great details. but he talks like a 3 year old, he only talks in two or three word sentences. hes only just started having speech threapy within school but i dont know how thats going just yet.

my daughter who is 3 1/2 and has a diagnosis of autism already only speaks in the learnt american phrases. she has speech therapy at home. she can say the words because she will mimic perfectly. she tends to sound exactly like the cartoon she is currently into. charlie and lola (she seems to repeat the starting songs over and over). and she calls out there names like there real people, shouting for charlie at the park is funny. she also shouts for peppa pigs little brother 'george'.

while having a doctor assesment she called out for charlie, and the doctor was excited about it as she thought 'charlie' must be a member of our family. it was a shock for her when i said that charlie was off a cartoon and that she often shouts for people off cartoons. so my daughter only talks in learnt phrases. its never for a drink or food.

how does your child communicate?

• VIP
Hi becky,
my son is now 3 and a half and does all that your daughter does echolalia i think it's called. He uses phrases from his favourite tv shows all the time i find mostly its when he is in different places he hasn't been before and he uses these phrases to centre himself and calm himself. i feel it is his way of coping with new situations. He remebers the nice feeling he had while watching the telly program that it comes through in his speech.
He used to not say a word until he was shown an argos catalogue and could relate to the pictures in there from what he sees on tv. That became a major break through in allowing me inhis world and letting me enjoy something with him. It all sort of snowballed from there, where we would put his drink cup up on a shelf out of his reach so he would at first have to lead you to what he wanted while we would be saying the word all the time. till eventually he said the word drink and so on.

He now can ask for things he would like and has a very good understanding where as before he would be dragging you round the room pointing to thing or using my finger to point to what he wanted.
ddsaps

• Registered
i never thought of it like that 'He remebers the nice feeling he had while watching the telly program that it comes through in his speech.'. sometimes the way she talks can get me down, not often i think i would just love her to say 'mummy' just once.

when we leave for nursery her dad says 'bye' and she says 'bye', hes then says 'i love you' and she says 'i love you too' - its very american but it makes my heart flutter. now he tried it later (i think we just love and need to hear it sometimes) and she would not say it. i often talk back to her in her cartoon phrases as i love the eye contact and she actually notices me. i dont care what the speech threapist says when your own child has never called you anything let alone mummy, it is heartbreaking and you say what ever you can to have a little communication.

i often go around say 'hi, im peppa pig' it gets her smiling and oniking. then she goes on to say 'this is my brother george. this is mummy pig and this is daddy pig'. lately she says stuff off dora the explorer. but even though she says all this she doesnt watch alot of tv

• Administrators
Awww that sounds so lovely. My sons speech delay is sort of fixing itself now but he used to just point n say 'uh uh' if he wanted something. Its only started coming the last 2months. Could you not label yourself mommy pig maybe!?!

Its true about ignoring the speech therapist, they told me not to speak in baby language as it encourages bad grammar.....rubbish...you speak whatever way you can to get a reaction from them and any form of communication is better than nothing, atleast he wasn't as frustrated!

Your daughter sounds like such a sweet girl!!! Smile

Lucy xx

• Registered
she is a sweetie, she is nicknamed the fairy child among her keyworkers/nursery teachers and even the doctor says it.

we used to play a game where i put a hand on alex and say 'baby' then hand on me and say 'mummy'. but she wont do it anymore - im more likely to get a smack in the face lol. she has started to say 'eyebrows' which is funny.