• Registered
Hi, im new to this site, and am looking for advice. i have a 3 year old son, and 7 months ago we moved into our 1st council property, a 2 bedroom bungalow. However the bungalow is not big enough for my son's equipment, he has a safespace, cosy fit hi-little one bed, special needs chair, colt trike, bath seat, maclaren buggy, and walking aid! plus he has hes soft play equipment. we had an o.t out about the dfg, and she said yes we could use it for a wet room, but not for an extention on our property, as the grant can only be used for an additional bedroom and not a safe room, is this true? i am being told different things, we will need an extra room for hes safe space, as currently unable to use it. And my son can have anything from 1-30+ sezuires a day, and im unable to leave him alone at any time. i would appreciate any advice, anyone can give me. Thank you.

• Established member
hi, my little boy is six and as cp the only thing he can do is breath, iam sorry but a play area to some of us is what we'd call a luxary, as ive been sleeping on the floor with robbie since he was born, we have at long last won our case to get the council to pay for a down stairs room and wash room, but we have had to agree to pay the extra cost, the council will pay 25-30k and no more, but they said before they would release any money we had to find the rest, from a builder they had to choose, cost being £61000. we have had to remortgage our house to get 30grand when thats been used they will start using there pot. A play room is what we would never get.

• VIP
(10-13-2011, 10:55 AM)debskay Wrote: hi, my little boy is six and as cp the only thing he can do is breath, iam sorry but a play area to some of us is what we'd call a luxary, as ive been sleeping on the floor with robbie since he was born, we have at long last won our case to get the council to pay for a down stairs room and wash room, but we have had to agree to pay the extra cost, the council will pay 25-30k and no more, but they said before they would release any money we had to find the rest, from a builder they had to choose, cost being £61000. we have had to remortgage our house to get 30grand when thats been used they will start using there pot. A play room is what we would never get.

Of course its a luxury - we too had to remortgage our home too -£20k

• VIP
hi, we are also in the battle to get a downstairs bedroom, bathroom. our son currently sleeps in the same room as us with very little space and trying to meet his needs during the night without disturbing hubby whom has to get up for work at 5am is difficult. our son also has night care 3 times a week and has to sleep on the living room floor not an ideal situation but has not made a DFG come any quicker! we are about to go back to panel at the end of the month for the 4th time. i would be surprised in you get a DFG for a sensory room i have to agree with debskay this maybe seen as non essential luxury?
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
We have been fighting since dec last year for a wet room, got a phone call last friday to say that we can have the garage converted. But it's going to be up to a year before we get it.