• Registered
Hello all, I’m new to this forum and up until now it never occurred me there would be a forum based on disabilities for families with disabled children. Its quite refreshing to know that there is such a site where people can exchange views and gain advice.

Anyway enough said, my name is Rob and basically I would like a little advice please. We currently live in a 4 bed end terrace with two reception rooms down stairs and an extended kitchen, and we have gone through the motions of getting a grant to help convert our home for our son whom is on the highest grade of disability. We have got as far as application agreed with council & OT, and Architect drawings, but we are not happy with the plans drawn up and it looks as though funding will prevent us from getting what we would like from it. Basically the drawings indicate that our home would be very tight and basic and mean that our son would have his bedroom right outside the main lounge/dining area which is no god as he is a very light sleeper.

So in terms of moving home, can you still get some kind of grant to help you with the purchase? Our home is worth say 125'000 and a property we have seen which is a bungalow with adequate living space with obviously ground floor bedrooms with a little bit of land to the front and rear which room to adapt going forward, the other bonus with the property is that it has already been adapted for disabled living, the trouble is though is that it is out of our budget at around £150'000. Is there anything that can be done to help?

Obviously the difference between the properties is £25'000, and yet the max grant to convert our property is £30'000 which would convert out home to a very basic level.

Your help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Rob

• Administrators
(09-09-2011, 04:29 PM)Scoobynet Wrote: Hello all, I’m new to this forum and up until now it never occurred me there would be a forum based on disabilities for families with disabled children. Its quite refreshing to know that there is such a site where people can exchange views and gain advice.

Anyway enough said, my name is Rob and basically I would like a little advice please. We currently live in a 4 bed end terrace with two reception rooms down stairs and an extended kitchen, and we have gone through the motions of getting a grant to help convert our home for our son whom is on the highest grade of disability. We have got as far as application agreed with council & OT, and Architect drawings, but we are not happy with the plans drawn up and it looks as though funding will prevent us from getting what we would like from it. Basically the drawings indicate that our home would be very tight and basic and mean that our son would have his bedroom right outside the main lounge/dining area which is no god as he is a very light sleeper.

So in terms of moving home, can you still get some kind of grant to help you with the purchase? Our home is worth say 125'000 and a property we have seen which is a bungalow with adequate living space with obviously ground floor bedrooms with a little bit of land to the front and rear which room to adapt going forward, the other bonus with the property is that it has already been adapted for disabled living, the trouble is though is that it is out of our budget at around £150'000. Is there anything that can be done to help?

Obviously the difference between the properties is £25'000, and yet the max grant to convert our property is £30'000 which would convert out home to a very basic level.

Your help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
Sadly i dont believe they will assist on a case like this as possibly it could be argued that an alterntive option can be maintained and is possible.
When you checked the plans do you have the room sizing of the planned room for your son?
Possibly an option here?
Also are they building a wet room/downstairs toilet which is suitable for your son?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE