• Established member
i have a two year ols son who is disabled and uses a chair to get about he is currently undiagnoised, he has been though some tests and they still dont know whats wrong.
my youngest son also has the same signs as my two year old he hasnt met his milestones either. i found out only yesterday that there is cerebral palsy in the family and my uncle has it, my mum is disabled so is my sister and me but again they have never tested for cerebral palsy what is the chance of it running in the family
if anyone could help it would be greatfully appreciated

• Established member
cerebral palsy is caused by a bleed in the brain leading to brain damage. This is not a condition that can run in a family as it has no genetical links, however it doesnt completley rule it out but it would be a high coincidence if there was that number of people in one family with cerebral palsy.

Has your son has a brain scan?

Hope that helps

floradancinggirl

• VIP
Hi, i have never heard cp refered to as hereditary always thought was due to extreme prematurity, infection, disease during pregnancy or complicated birth. the damage to the brain (cerebral) and the movement (palsy). the area of the brain damaged will determine what type of cp the affected child has. my son has cp up until a recent mri scan we thought it was spastic but the damage to the brain indicates he actually has athetiod cp still trying to work out what that means with regard to characteristics and behaviours.
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
Hi my daughter has Cerebral Palsy that was caused by her being 5 weeks prem. I am not aware of it running in families as it is caused as far as my understanding goes by a bleed on the brain. For a diagnoses of CP this would show on an MRI scan. Good luck hope you get some answers soon x
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain .....

• Established member
thankyou to everyone who replied, my son had an mri scan when he was little it showed he had extra fluid on his brain (dont know what that means) drs arnt telling me anything
my son was having like fit type movements when i was carrying him and when i gave birth to him he had a large lump on his umbillical cord so only bits of air was getting through but when i asked them when i saw the lump on his umbillical cord they removed it straight away and told me it was fine but i knew there was something wrong from birth