• VIP
Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew if you can insist on having a statement done as my youngest has fragile x and to be honest I don't think that the mainstream school in which two of my children go to will be able to cope full time with him. We had a word with the inclusion support lady who works with him and someone from the council and they said that they wouldn't statement him until he has been at mainstream school for a while. My worry is that he will need a one to one worker otherwise he just wander doing what he wants, also he gets very excited and will scream ear piercingly loud in certain situation then he gets distructive and the only way to get him to stop is to completly remove him from the room and from others for a few minutes. He cannot speak properly or clearly and will use some makaton signs, he is due to start next sept but I worry that if they can't cope with him he's going to end up out of school for a year or more like his eldest brother, as getting a statement takes 6 months and the special schools around us are extremly full. Ideally I want him to go to mainstream for a couple of days and special for the rest so he gets the best help from the special school and also the chance to see if he could cope withe mainstream eventually. Sorry for the long post x
I have 4 lovely children Caleb and Bay who have fragile x
Trinity and Lucas who don't Heart

• Established member
Do ou have a service called parent partnership in your local area? they help with any issues between schools and statementing when you have a child with a disability. They are independant to the council and usually offer good advice and can then help with the process to get a statement etc. you can usually find their contact details in the special needs/ statementing secion on your council's website.

Hope this helps

• VIP
You can start the statementing process off on your own, we did that (i really cant remember what we did but i know we did it ourselves). Sorry im not much help, but i agree with the above post if there is a parent partnership in your area they can be a great help :-)

• VIP
Yes we do have them in our area I think we'll try them thanks x
I have 4 lovely children Caleb and Bay who have fragile x
Trinity and Lucas who don't Heart

• Administrators
Hi Nicky,
Statements are issued by the local authority and its important to state this as many schools fob parents off by saying they believe the child cant get a statement and parents believe its the schools choice for statements.
But dont worry its not too complicated requesting the statement its the next stage thats harder which is getting all the reports etc.

To get the process started there is a template on the following link:
http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk/sen-statements-and-sample-sen-statement-t-8.html

This will help with a draft statement template.
Also on the link i give details for a charity called IPSEA who i recomend highly as they give impartial advice and dont have any connection with the local authority which sadly parent partnership do Sad
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE