• Established member
ok so this is my first post. here goes

my daughter goes through cycles with sleep. Somethimes she sleeps really well others we get 1 hr a night. for the last two weks sleep has been a thing i have fogotten what it feel likes as i am getting very little. We have tried a range of methods including

medication
sleep systems
repositioning
lights in the room
lights outside the room
adjusting the temp of the room

just to name a few. Does anyone have any tips/ideas of things that have worked for their children? i am willing to give anything a try. She wakes up frequently in the night saying she is scared and she often dreams that she is falling.

Thanks gor reading and hopefully replying

FLORADANCINGGIRL

• VIP
Hi there,
There's a great charity called Cerebra who might be able to help you with this. They support parents of children with brain related conditions and as part of that they have a 'Sleep Service' and can offer advice on difficulties with sleeping. I know of someone who used it and found them very helpful. This is the website address: http://www.cerebra.org.uk/English/gethelp/sleepservice/Pages/default.aspx or you can email them: sleep@cerebra.org.uk or call the helpline on 0800 328 1159 and ask for the sleep practitioner.
Hope this helps xx

• Registered
Hello I only just registered so not sure how this works but just like you said, here we go.
My son is 8 years old but has the mental understanding of someone around 5 or 6 year old and also has some sleep issues at times but no where near as bad as your daughter.
We have tried with varying degree of success to allow him to read a book if he wakes up after or around 5pm
on other occasions we have just returned him to bed with the following routine
first time: Sorry darling but it is dark and it is still time to sleep
quick hug and kiss
leave room with door ajar and light on the landing on
second time time for bed
NO hug or kiss
door ajar with light on in the hall
third time and every time afterwards take her hand walk her into bedroom cover and leave the room without talking at all

the first night this could happen up to 50 times just be determent
on second and third night this will lessen and within a week my son usually sleeps ok again

• VIP
if she is waking up saying she is scared may say something like it's a bad dream and tell her to think of something nice or that she enjoys. we found that ben used to panic when going to sleep, he has his bubble tube on and that helps him to relax
if she is waking up saying she is scared may say something like it's a bad dream and tell her to think of something nice or that she enjoys. we found that ben used to panic when going to sleep, he has his bubble tube on and that helps him to relax

• Established member
thanks everyone.

She is physically disabled so cant actually get out of bed but wakes up so distressed i have no choice but to go to her. Until i get to her i have no idea if she is having a seizure or not as she has nocturnal epilepsy. I am currently trying to leave her a sensory light on so she can see when she wakes up and i have left the hallway light on. Last night she actually slept better than previous nights, so fingers crossed its the enf of the cycle and we can have a few nights sleep