• VIP
Thank you ionag. Just been reading the Bristol Zoo Website, will Definatley consider joining the zoo now, maybe early next year! Had a lovely day in Chester zoo today.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
I'm obviously in the minority, as I went today, and found it incredibly stressful, its not somewhere I'd ever go again!
Even though we had a blue badge, we had to park ages away in a field, I was shattered pushing the wheelchair to the zoo entrance only to find loads of free disabled spaces on hardstanding? You could only park one way on the field too, and I was worried someone would park very close to the back of the car, meaning I couldn't get the wheelchair in the boot, but luckily a young couple parked there before we left the car, and kindly asked if they'd left enough room (even though I have about 3 stickers requesting space at the back, its never adhered to!)
It was a sunny day and the school holidays so obviously VERY busy, but I could rarely get the wheelchair close enough to any of the enclosures for Matty to see anything? He was also at the wrong height for most of them, he couldn't see over the walls. Also couldn't get into a lot of the indoor bits such as the chimpanzee bit as they were packed solid.
VERY little choice in terms of food, and nothing to cater for my mums gluten free diet at all.
Loads of steep hills, with drops on the other side, I was shattered from alternating between pushing uphill, then clinging on for dear life downhill!
He couldn't access the mongoose area, or play areas at all. It just annoys me that I have to pay full child fare, when he can't get much out of it. It doesn't seem so bad when theres a discount for disabled, but their concession rate is higher than the child price anyway.
And my biggest bugbear of all today, and the point where I sat down and cried. There is only one disabled changing area in the entire zoo. Now fair play to them for providing it, and it is a good area. They've also put a note on the door requesting consideration from people to not use it for changing babies.
I got there (after walking the full length of the zoo) to find it engaged, waited a while only for a woman to walk out with a pram. Another woman from the baby queue next door jumped in. I pointed out to her that it wasn't for babies, she insisted it was and locked the door. When she came back out, I explained that it was an adult changing room, she then said 'why would an adult need changing?' after quashing the desire to punch her in the face, I mentioned disabilities. She then said 'he's a baby', meaning Matthew. I told her he was 7, she then said, 'so? my baby is 7 months!'. Yes, the zoo can't adopt an anti stupid person sadly, but I feel this is exactly where the radar key scheme needs to be in force! After that little altercation I honestly felt like coming home, I know i sound like such a wuss, but I can't believe how horrible she was!
Also had to deal with some awful Children who kept pushing Mattys wheelchair out of the way of the viewing areas, and the parents just stood there letting them??!
ARRRRRGH, glad to be back home!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• VIP
I am really sorry to hear about today... It was really busy there and it definitely doesn't help when you have horrid people who make your day a bad one!! How dare people be that rude and take advantage! I found the same with the entrance price which didn't make much sense! I bet you were glad to arrive home, big hugs. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
I followed up someones suggestion and went to chester oaks discount village to buy tickets, saved a couple of pounds each and got to use the fast track which was definitely the way to go, didn't make the day any better though!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Established member
(09-01-2011, 09:39 PM)mummy_of_matty Wrote: I followed up someones suggestion and went to chester oaks discount village to buy tickets, saved a couple of pounds each and got to use the fast track which was definitely the way to go, didn't make the day any better though!

sounds like a nightmare.....we went crack of dawn right at the very start of the school hols, so it wasn't that busy...well at first..... always stressful.....
god, there are stupid people about !!!!!!!! some people really don't get other peoples' difficulties.
smile smile smile !