• Registered
hello all Smile

well I was wondering could anyone advise me on what benefits i will be due? I have tried the benefit checker but we don't seem to get along to well Wink

Basically there is me, my wife and our 2 year old daughter who still can't walk / talk, she is developmentally delayed along with other issues, she receives DLA middle rate and no mobility (we were told they would review that when she is 3)

Myself and my wife have both being employed for the best part of 10 years and have a mortgage on our house, But it looks like I'm to be made redundant very soon! my wife's job seems fairly secure and she earns just over 20k per year.

I will get my statutory notice pay and statutory redundancy which I shall instantly have to clear of my debts with.

my questions are.

what benefits shall i be due?
can I instantly get carers allowance and JSA or just one of them?
I believe I will get help with my mortgage after 13 weeks? (our mortgage is around 130k) but just interest? how much roughly is that?
is there any help with council tax etc too?
or any other things we could be claiming.

its not so bad being made redundant maybe as someone was going to have to soon stay at home to look after our daughter as shes getting alot bigger now..

thanks for taking the time to read this.

regards

• Moderators
hi
as your daughter gets middle rate care you do qualify for carers allowance, if you claim that you cant claim jsa i dont think as you arent available for work but i could be wrong i know i was told i couldnt apply but that was some years ago and havent asked since as they said as hubby was working i couldnt claim anyway. i dont know if you would get help with council tax as your wifes wages and things like working and child tax credits and carers allowance are added to altogether may be to high but that could be dependant on your area
sorry not much help but if you go into the one stop shop (if they have them in your area) they are great at working out what you are entitled to
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
(08-20-2011, 12:31 PM)DevotedDAD Wrote: hello all :)

well I was wondering could anyone advise me on what benefits i will be due? I have tried the benefit checker but we don't seem to get along to well ;)

Basically there is me, my wife and our 2 year old daughter who still can't walk / talk, she is developmentally delayed along with other issues, she receives DLA middle rate and no mobility (we were told they would review that when she is 3)

Myself and my wife have both being employed for the best part of 10 years and have a mortgage on our house, But it looks like I'm to be made redundant very soon! my wife's job seems fairly secure and she earns just over 20k per year.

I will get my statutory notice pay and statutory redundancy which I shall instantly have to clear of my debts with.

my questions are.

what benefits shall i be due?
can I instantly get carers allowance and JSA or just one of them?
I believe I will get help with my mortgage after 13 weeks? (our mortgage is around 130k) but just interest? how much roughly is that?
is there any help with council tax etc too?
or any other things we could be claiming.

its not so bad being made redundant maybe as someone was going to have to soon stay at home to look after our daughter as shes getting alot bigger now..

thanks for taking the time to read this.

regards
You cannot get most means tested benefits while you have capital (savings) of £16,000 or more. This includes your partner's capital if any. If you have capital between £6000 and £16,000 you are classed as having a set amount of income each week, called "tariff income".

If the benefit office thinks you have spent capital or savings to help you get more benefit then it can become a little tricky to prove otherwise.

In this case they can treat you as though you still have the money - called notional capital. This rule may apply even if you use the money to pay off a mortgage or debts. :(
But alot comes down to the settlement value of the package you will recieve.
If you are able to state this ill try and work things out for you to where you may stand.

JSA may not be an option dependent on the value of the pay off but possible.
Carers allowance is a good possiblity on the basis of it would work out the income on a notion scale so providing that falls below the £100 a week mark this would be a possibility?

Other benefits such as mortage relief or council tax are dependent on the pay off.

Its very difficult to say one way or the other without knowing what sort of pay off you will be looking at.

Also can i confirm this is a compulsary rather than voluntary lay off?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
I would be surprised if you would be entitled to much in the way of help with mortgage or council tax with your wife's salary. She earns far more than my partner and we were over the threshold for help with either of those things.

• Registered
Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

Daniel my redundancy is compulsory and the redundancy money would be about £3600
then maybe another 2-3k for notice period wages.
like i say it all has to instantly pay of debts and a couple of month mortgage payment.
the £3600 will pay of my loan and the 2-3k will go on a few mortgage and car payments.
there is just no way we can cope on my wife's wage, our mortgage and council tax etc is about £700 a month then we are also paying of the car at £150 a month. then all the rest, food, electricity, heating, mot, tax, insurance etc etc
cheers