• Established member
Hi, I need to hear if anyone has come across this situation before or can advise. My employment was terminated the end of June by mutual agreement, they couldn't offer me fixed part time hours and to encourage me to leave they paid me double the amount I was entitled to for statutory redundancy. I applied for carers allowance and have just received the decision that I am not entitled because the lump sum I received is classed as income. I can apply again in 26 weeks. The lump sum wasn't subject to tax. It's just come as a total shock.

• Registered
I haven't been in this situation personally but i didn't want to read and run.
Compared to the DLA the Carers allowance was relatively easy to apply for in our case. However, we went through a lengthly appeals and tribunals case for the DLA and the CAB were fantastic at dealing with the paperwork and looking at our overall financial picture.
If i were you i'd give them a call, i found them to be a great source of support and they were able to advise me about benefits and grants etc. that i had no idea we'd be entitled to.

Goodluck x

• VIP
(08-13-2011, 08:40 PM)babbasmummy Wrote: Hi, I need to hear if anyone has come across this situation before or can advise. My employment was terminated the end of June by mutual agreement, they couldn't offer me fixed part time hours and to encourage me to leave they paid me double the amount I was entitled to for statutory redundancy. I applied for carers allowance and have just received the decision that I am not entitled because the lump sum I received is classed as income. I can apply again in 26 weeks. The lump sum wasn't subject to tax. It's just come as a total shock.

I know when i was on maternity leave i wasn't able to get it because was over the income limit. Don't think that is fair that they they have classed the lump sum as income

• Established member
I asked for the decision to be looked at again, it has been but they have refused to revise their decision. Hopefully I will get to actually speak to the decision maker tomorrow. I just want to know what points in the decision making guide they have referred to as I am conscious I only have a month to appeal. From reading the guide myself they are treating the lump sum as compensation and as such divide it by a weekly amount determined by themselves.
So if nothing else if anyone else is offered a compromise agreement by their employer please take advice on how it can affects benefits.

• Administrators
I think its the Mutual agreement part that maybe presenting issues!
As it could be deemed as voluntary unemployment and this does cause issues with some benefits
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE