• VIP
my health visitor doesnt want to know because our son is over 5. she refused to help me when i went to her back when he was 3 when we 1st noticed something wasnt right, she just kept tellin me that he was a naughty child and that i wasnt talking to him properly. we have been left to deal with this on our own we have had no help or support from anyone. we have been put in touch with loads of organsiations but they want a joining fee and we have very little money at the moment so we cant afford to join them. i just wish there was someone who we could call when we are finding it tough as we feel so alone with this xx

• Moderators
hi, your profile only says berkshire but this page might help http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=9904 on there is the number for the disabled childrens team alyson paisley (01635) 503403
all councils work differently so dont know if you can self refer or if you can speak to your doctor. as you are pregnant do you have a community nurse who can help you?

one point to make though. you did NOT cause your sons autism, all the talk about it being caused by parenting is bumkum otherwise all the parents of autistic children would have had post natal depression or played constantly with them with educational toys or didnt talk to their Children in the womb (sorry getting sarky now lol)
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
(08-16-2011, 01:40 PM)corinne Wrote: hi, your profile only says berkshire but this page might help http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=9904 on there is the number for the disabled childrens team alyson paisley (01635) 503403
all councils work differently so dont know if you can self refer or if you can speak to your doctor. as you are pregnant do you have a community nurse who can help you?

one point to make though. you did NOT cause your sons autism, all the talk about it being caused by parenting is bumkum otherwise all the parents of autistic children would have had post natal depression or played constantly with them with educational toys or didnt talk to their Children in the womb (sorry getting sarky now lol)
corinne

thanx corinne i called the number and because i live in east berkshire they couldnt help me, east berkshire has a similar group but i have 2 b reffered by my doctor who doesnt want to know. ive gone to my doctor loads of times begging 4 help and support and everytime they just say ''oh well ur doing ur best so dont stress to much'' but i am stressed i tried once again 2 take my son out 2day just round to a friends and his behaviour was beyond, he destroyed the other childrens toys,ripped up their pictures,shouted at them for no reason and was unbelievably rude to me 2 the point i nearly lost my temper i just cant do this anymore i love my son with all body heart and soul but im not cut out 4 this i cant handle him anymore he only remotely behaves himself wen we r at home but i cant stay at home all day everyday so what do i do? im sat here in floods of tears cause im at my wits end so sorry to go on but i dont know what 2 do x

• Moderators
is there another doctor at your surgery?? if not i would ask around to see if there are any doctors in the area who are more disabled friendly and also speak to the practice manager and make a complaint as he obviously isnt giving you the support you should be getting.
does he go to a special school or have any support in school?? they should be able to refer him. i would also contact the east berk ss and push them explaining that your doctor is refusing to refer your son and denying you the support you are entitled to, show them how close to the edge you are and that you require support urgently, they can worry about the referral later, is there a community nurse or someone helping due to you being pregnant? as they should be able to help too as the stress isnt good for u and its her job to help relieve it.
you are feeling like this because its 24/7 its only just over a week before they are back at school and you will feel differently when you have time to breath and not be holding your breath waiting for the moods to start, you are not alone and you arent the only parent who has felt like this there are posts on here from me a couple of years ago where i was talking about putting matt into care and he is an only child so cant even begin to imagine how it is for you with another child and one on the way
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Established member
can you find out if you have a local team of learning disability nurses? it is usually called CTLD. They may be able to deal with behavioural management issues and would be able to provide help with longer term support. They could potentially provide you with strategies to help you cope accross a wide variety of situations. i used to work for ctld in my area and these were the issues we covered, it is very hard work when it starts but believe me if you work with the team in the long run it could make the situation alot better.

You are not alone most parents feel like this in the holidays especially when their child has asd and there is such a big change in routines.

Hope some of this helped.

X