• VIP
Hi all, we recently got told that Lucie would not be referred or recommended for a DFG as in the opinion of social sevices it is ok for my 9 year old daughter to have a cctv camera installed in her bedroom to watch her overnight. I am upset and appaled by this decision and more so when told by my social worker that if i didnt want to 'watch' lucie all night she recommended that we get a baby monitor. The cctv in my opionion and that of my GP and her pead consultant is an invasion of her privacy.
Both my GP and the pead consultant have now written letters of supposrt, but will this help? This whole matter is getting me down, is it not enough that we are traveling 200 miles to go to hospital twice a week and going through horrenduous ops but now i am having to fight social services for something which myself and Lucies consultants and gp believe we are entitled to?
Has anyone had any luck with getting aa dfg agreed with letters of support or am i just wasting my valuable time and energy?
This whole matter has left me depressed and to such an extent that i am reducing my hours at work as i can no longer cope with all that is being thrown at me!! We never ask for anything for Lucie, we are entitled to claim for 24 hour care for her but i dont ask for it, we are happy to look after her ourselves and feel lucky to be able to as we have an amazing support from our family. Lucie is currently sleeping in our bedroom as i feel that it is no longer safe for Lucie to sleep on a different floor of our house all the time she has metal distractors filling her airway and making her breathing very unstable!
Sorry about the rant but i am soo low at the mo!
Louise x

• VIP
Hi Louise, sorry can't be any help on this matter but I hope that someone else can. Chin up and good luck. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
(08-10-2011, 09:24 PM)luciesmum1 Wrote: Hi all, we recently got told that Lucie would not be referred or recommended for a DFG as in the opinion of social sevices it is ok for my 9 year old daughter to have a cctv camera installed in her bedroom to watch her overnight. I am upset and appaled by this decision and more so when told by my social worker that if i didnt want to 'watch' lucie all night she recommended that we get a baby monitor. The cctv in my opionion and that of my GP and her pead consultant is an invasion of her privacy.
Both my GP and the pead consultant have now written letters of supposrt, but will this help? This whole matter is getting me down, is it not enough that we are traveling 200 miles to go to hospital twice a week and going through horrenduous ops but now i am having to fight social services for something which myself and Lucies consultants and gp believe we are entitled to?
Has anyone had any luck with getting aa dfg agreed with letters of support or am i just wasting my valuable time and energy?
This whole matter has left me depressed and to such an extent that i am reducing my hours at work as i can no longer cope with all that is being thrown at me!! We never ask for anything for Lucie, we are entitled to claim for 24 hour care for her but i dont ask for it, we are happy to look after her ourselves and feel lucky to be able to as we have an amazing support from our family. Lucie is currently sleeping in our bedroom as i feel that it is no longer safe for Lucie to sleep on a different floor of our house all the time she has metal distractors filling her airway and making her breathing very unstable!
Sorry about the rant but i am soo low at the mo!
Louise x
I would put safety far above privacy.My daughter is 11 and has cctv ,she has severe daily seizures.

24hr care - could you please let me know how your entitled tio this as my daughter is profoundly disabled and only has 1 night respite a month .

• VIP
Safety should always come before privacy -my daughter 11yrs has cctv -she has severe daily seizures thus i need to see and hear her 24-7.

Entitled to 24 hr care- could you enlighten me on this as my daughter is profoundly disabled and is only given 1 night respite a month.

• Moderators
i think respite varies in different councils dallas1, when matt was under childrens services we got 42 nights a year and we have the same he is 18 it all falls down to where the councils put their money basically. for most things i could move 5 miles down the road and get a lot more support as its a different council.

tbh even if Louise had cctv by the time she saw lucie had stopped breathing and got downstairs and into the room it could be too late its not like she is in the next room (and running downstairs when you half asleep is dangerous anyway i know Smile)

have you tried going over their head Louise? try threatening with local radio or newspaper (the threat is usually enough) at the end of the day even if they put the referral in you would still have to be interviewed by dfg people who make the final decision. we have asked our social worker to refer for a driveway as matt when we asked when he was a child was told he wasnt disabled. he has said we have only got a slight shot of getting it but he has still supported us
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.