• Established member
Hey everyone. I haven't been on in a while as been busy dealing with a whole number of problems with the school!

Anyway, thanks to Family Fund dropping the income criteria, we applied. I read through the criteria and felt that Mattie fitted it well despite still no statement at school. I applied for driving lessons as travelling is becoming a bit of a battle for us, an ipad and also holiday vouchers. Now I am not fussed if I do not get the latter two because in all honesty they won't make a big significant difference to our family life. We had the interview this morning, and I felt positive but also went into it accepting there maybe limitations on what we can get.

Well the lady was very nice and gave a booklet to me on information for carers and some cards to carry with us if anyone ever questions Mattie's behaviour. But in all honesty, I don't think it ended well because she made a point about Mattie not having a statement (which I plan to fight for once he is back at school) and the fact he is not seen by professionals regularly. I made it quite clear that as much as he loves public transport, travelling with him was not easy and even mentioned the half hour screaming session he had on the train from Portsmouth. I made it clear driving would give me more control over being able to decide where we went, when we went and if we made stops and so on. But I don't feel like we will get anything as a result. Or has she made me feel like that just so if I don't get anything I am not disappointed?

I cannot afford to learn to drive and save for a used car at the same time. If I get the driving lessons, I can save and be able to do it before our holiday next year. If I don't, it will take me a couple of years or more to do so!

• VIP
Hi there
I wouldn't worry about having no statement, it's not essential to be eligible. My middle lad had only just been diagnosed with one of his conditions when I first applied when he was 10. He was then diagnosed with another condition as well but we have never applied for a Statement as he doesn't need it, he's always got the help he needed anyway although I do think we had very good schools so were lucky there. I don't even think the DLA had come through when I first applied to Family Fund & he had only been seen by the Paediatrician twice for tests & diagnosis, whereas later on he had an OT, SLT, Ed psych, Ophthalmic surgeon & Neurosurgeon who he saw all of regularly. Depending on the difficulties a child has and where they are on waiting lists or assessments, etc then they might well not be seeing any professionals. The lady we saw asked about help at school etc but I thought it was more to make sure we knew what was available as he'd only just been diagnosed rather than trying to let us down gently.
If he meets the criteria and you have some evidence of this, say from the paediatrician, then there's no reason for them to turn you down. I hope you get good news but if they do turn you down then you can always ask them to reconsider it once he's got more help at school and there's more evidence of his needs.

Jayne xx

• Established member
I have a whole book worth of evidence, from medical to school reports! I even told them about him being excluded just so they could stop him going on a school trip! But you have made me feel better, I feel like I gave enough evidence to suggest we are trying to sort out more support for him and that we are desperate need of the things we have requested.

• VIP
I hope you get it, I only learnt to drive 4 yrs ago when my lad first got his DLA as he got higher rate mobility, I used the back pay from the DLA to pay for it and it cost me over £1500 (I was very nervous & needed a lot of lessons) but it's the best thing I've ever done and it's made such a difference it's incredible.
Good luck & please let us know how you got on when you find out,
Jayne x

• VIP
good luck with the family fund, ben never had a full statment when we first applied.