• Registered
Hi there

Please help. I'm confused by the Carers Allowance. We are currently going throught the processes to ascertain whether he is Aspergic (at the moment it is looking very much like he is, but we are waiting for confirmation). I have started trying to work out the various processes and have just ended more confused than when I started!

My husband is self employed as a contractor - he earns a good wage which means that we aren't eligible for Tax Credits, etc. I am also self employed, but at the moment my Company is just surviving and I don't draw a salary (minimum wage if anything).

My question is about the Carers Allowance - would we be eligible to apply for this? Do we have to wait to get a Statement regarding our son before being able to apply?, etc...

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
N

• VIP
i think you can only get carers allowance if your son is recieving middle or higher rate dla for personal care & you cant earn more then £100 a wk whilst recieving it!Have a look on the direct gov website but i'm sure that's right x
mummy to two special lil boys (7yrs & 18mths) & 1 very grown up 5yr old princess!!
"Children with disabilities are like butterflies with a broken wing. They are just as beautiful as all others, but they need help to spread their wings"

• VIP
(08-04-2011, 02:25 PM)NixS Wrote: Hi there

Please help. I'm confused by the Carers Allowance. We are currently going throught the processes to ascertain whether he is Aspergic (at the moment it is looking very much like he is, but we are waiting for confirmation). I have started trying to work out the various processes and have just ended more confused than when I started!

My husband is self employed as a contractor - he earns a good wage which means that we aren't eligible for Tax Credits, etc. I am also self employed, but at the moment my Company is just surviving and I don't draw a salary (minimum wage if anything).

My question is about the Carers Allowance - would we be eligible to apply for this? Do we have to wait to get a Statement regarding our son before being able to apply?, etc...

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
N

i think you can only recieve carers allowance if your son recieves middle or higher rate dla for personal care & you can also only earn an extra £100 a wk if you are entitled to it x
mummy to two special lil boys (7yrs & 18mths) & 1 very grown up 5yr old princess!!
"Children with disabilities are like butterflies with a broken wing. They are just as beautiful as all others, but they need help to spread their wings"

• Moderators
you can only work 20 hours a week as you need to be caring for your son for 35hrs a week to qualify (which isnt hard to do just in a weekend hehe)
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
as said, you need to either be on income support, work less than 20 hours a week, earn less that £100 a week and recieve middle or high rate DLA for your child. your partners income wont come into it. do you recieve DLA?

xx