• VIP
Hi all, hope ur all well..
Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong part of the forums but just here for help & advice realy as nightimes are tunring into nightmares with our son who is 4 (5 on Sun)..
Basicly we put him to bed at about 7.30-8pm (ish) due to having school the following day.. and all we have had for several weeks is him chucking tantrums, throwing things, destroying hes room, putting tv full blast, banging etc.. and im now at the end of my teather as hes uprouting all of our routines as my DD whos 2, cant get to sleep due to him tantruming and sometimes these tantrums can go on till 11-12pm,
Not only that.. me and my partner are soo tired due to having to see to him through the nights as he tends to smear hes dirt etc otherwise and has traces of sleep apneoa.
Wondering if you lot have any advise on what we could do realy, as we know its all for attention as when we go up to see to him he shuts up and theres no tears, and step foot out hes room he starts again..
We have tried leaving hes tv on for comfort, the light, landing light etc.. tried all sorts but nothing seems to be working and as the nights go by its just getting a hell of alot worse.. & turning into a nightmare..

• Banned
i would maybe suggest that one of u sleep in his room, it could be that he is feeling a little insecure, and if this works with one of u sleeping with him just a suggestion. or i just let him tantrum and do them things in his room and take all the toys away then he cant throw anything. and take the tv out of the room then he cant out it up full blast.
just a thought. my oldest was a poor sleeper when he was 4 he is now 8 and his sleeping is better as i kept keeping him in his bed and if he got up i keep putting him back until he got fed up with it. and it paid off.
Remember that your the boss have u tried relaxing music and a massage before bed to calm him down.
my typing is terrible tonight

• Moderators
does he have a specific bedtime routine? ie have a bath at 7.30, chill out time (sorry cant think of other routines lol) and does he need a lot of sleep? it might be that you might be going to bed a little too early? i used to have to sit playing a computer game till 2am when matt was young as it was only way he would stay in bed and quiet (we lived in terraced house and i was worried about the neighbours) thankfully we dont have to do that now, we did try melatonin a couple of times last year as this did help him to settle off to sleep a bit quicker but we only use it when we going somewhere the next day as he wont sleep all night due to excitement and we need some sleep if we driving lol. but i think i left it a bit to late to start trying to give him anything he is 5f 8 and about 8 stone lol need half the bottle to get him to sleep sometimes as he can fight any medication even if he doesnt know he has taken it (we sneak it into his drink as he will only take calpol on a spoon and only if he feels ill)
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
(01-24-2010, 10:33 PM)Karen Wrote: i would maybe suggest that one of u sleep in his room, it could be that he is feeling a little insecure, and if this works with one of u sleeping with him just a suggestion. or i just let him tantrum and do them things in his room and take all the toys away then he cant throw anything. and take the tv out of the room then he cant out it up full blast.
just a thought. my oldest was a poor sleeper when he was 4 he is now 8 and his sleeping is better as i kept keeping him in his bed and if he got up i keep putting him back until he got fed up with it. and it paid off.
Remember that your the boss have u tried relaxing music and a massage before bed to calm him down.
my typing is terrible tonight

Thanks for the tips,
We have tried to stay with him but he just punches/slaps us and tells us to p155 off! (he picked this up in nursery and this is all he ever says)
We have taken hes toys out the room and explained naughty boys dont get toys etc and its not seem to have bothered him much as he doesnt realy focus on toys for more than a min before he flits to somthings else as hes got a short attention span..
However tonite he turned hes tv up n we just ignored him an coz we didnt give him the attention he wanted he went to sleep so maybe its just a case of ignoreing him.. ill see how tomrow rolls and if no joy ill remove hes tv. (and hope he wont empty hes drawers lol-need get new locks on hes new bedroom set ha)
Sleepy
(01-24-2010, 10:38 PM)corinne Wrote: does he have a specific bedtime routine? ie have a bath at 7.30, chill out time (sorry cant think of other routines lol) and does he need a lot of sleep? it might be that you might be going to bed a little too early? i used to have to sit playing a computer game till 2am when matt was young as it was only way he would stay in bed and quiet (we lived in terraced house and i was worried about the neighbours) thankfully we dont have to do that now, we did try melatonin a couple of times last year as this did help him to settle off to sleep a bit quicker but we only use it when we going somewhere the next day as he wont sleep all night due to excitement and we need some sleep if we driving lol. but i think i left it a bit to late to start trying to give him anything he is 5f 8 and about 8 stone lol need half the bottle to get him to sleep sometimes as he can fight any medication even if he doesnt know he has taken it (we sneak it into his drink as he will only take calpol on a spoon and only if he feels ill)
corinne

yea hes routine is bath, supper, chill out time (i say chill but he dusnt know how to lol) then bed..
we have tried to keep him up later but he crys for bed..
do u think it cud possibly be to do with hes iron lvls? hes on iron meds.. wunda if hes dose needs upping or something??

• Administrators
Tv in bed is not a bad idea as everybody needs to sleep at some point.(Corinne wont agree Big Grin)
Euan went through a stage of bad sleeping for a few months but recently hes been quite good!

It could possibly be a phase in regards to sleep and hopefully could be something that settles itself.
How long has it been going on for?

Also in regards to the Iron Euan is on Iron and i havent noticed any real change in sleeping,just his bowels Big Grin
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE