• Registered
hi all,
im hoping some one may be able to help this is going to be a long one im afraid Sad
My son is 6 years old, has mobility problems (very loose ligaments so feet turn in...so very clumsy) also his hands mirror each others movements, always very busy, seems to have very high pain threshold (gets black eyes in school from jumping off things and playing very rough with other children and doesn't cry even when the injury sustained is serious enough for an ambulance to be called) has no attention span, poor speech, still dribbles, has to be constantly reminded to go to the bathroom, cannot dress himself properly, and cannot clean himself after going to the toilet, he also does not interact very well with other children, especially not in large groups (like the classroom) and can be very disruptive.

In his current school he is in a small nurture group of 4 children 5 days a week, spending an hour a day in with his normal nursery class a day with the aid of an lsa,he has also started seeing the educational psychologist, speech thereapist, and an orthapeadic peadiatrician, however, having moved 20 miles away to carmarthen (from swansea) due to unforeseen circumstances, i have been told i have to find a new school.

No school in carmarthen will offer my son this same help until he is statemented, and i do not want to be putting him into a school where he is going to be classed straight away as "the naughty child" and for him to get so far behind because he cannot function in a normal class.

I have spoken to a few headmistresses of local schools and they said that they could assess his needs but could not offer him any where near the amount of help he has been currently recieving untill statemented
I think my son has dispraxia, and have been told that children with this are not normaly statemented untill the age of 8, so does this mean if i change his school that he is going to be without the help he needs for 3 years???
If this is so then its disgusting i dont know what to do?
A friend of mine suggested talking to a special needs school, but i dont know if they would take my son without a positive diagnosis??? could i even attend the school with my son as his own support for the classroom??

This is really getting me down an im having such a hard time at the moment that i feel as if i cant cope with all of this too, sorry if im babbling but i feel sooooo stuck and would realy love a bit of friendly advice,
Helen xx

• Registered
(08-01-2011, 03:08 AM)helen.l.84 Wrote: hi all,
im hoping some one may be able to help....this is going to be a long one im afraid Sad.....my son is 6 years old, has mobility problems (very loose ligaments so feet turn in...so very clumsy) also his hands mirror each others movements, always very busy, seems to have very high pain threshold (gets black eyes in school from jumping off things and playing very rough with other children and doesn't cry even when the injury sustained is serious enough for an ambulance to be called) has no attention span, poor speech, still dribbles, has to be constantly reminded to go to the bathroom, cannot dress himself properly, and cannot clean himself after going to the toilet, he also does not interact very well with other children, especially not in large groups (like the classroom) and can be very disruptive. In his current school he is in a small nurture group of 4 children 5 days a week, spending an hour a day in with his normal nursery class a day with the aid of an lsa,he has also started seeing the educational psychologist, speech thereapist, and an orthapeadic peadiatrician, however, having moved 20 miles away to carmarthen (from swansea) due to unforeseen circumstances, i have been told i have to find a new school. No school in carmarthen will offer my son this same help until he is statemented, and i do not want to be putting him into a school where he is going to be classed straight away as "the naughty child" and for him to get so far behind because he cannot function in a normal class. i have spoken to a few headmistresses of local schools and they said that they could assess his needs but could not offer him any where near the amount of help he has been currently recieving untill statemented..i think my son has dispraxia, and have been told that children with this are not normaly statemented untill the age of 8, so does this mean if i change his school that he is going to be without the help he needs for 3 years??? if this is so then its disgusting...i dont know what to do? A friend of mine suggested talking to a special needs school, but i dont know if they would take my son without a positive diagnosis??? could i even attend the school with my son as his own support for the classroom?? This is really getting me down an im having such a hard time at the moment that i feel as if i cant cope with all of this too, sorry if im babbling but i feel sooooo stuck and would realy love a bit of friendly advice,
Helen xx

Hi Helen x
Have you ever thought of Autistic spectrum disorder. Your sons' 'symptoms' would fit in with this. I would talk to the special schools in your area. ask what they could do for you. statementing is a long winded process, and it would be a good idea to ask parent partnership to support you. they are representatives who will support you and your child through the statement process and you can also apply for a statement yourself too. I would not worry about your son being treated as the 'naughty child' this should not happen the school should be professional enough to see past the behaviours, however if the only thing you can do is put him in a mainstream school then go and visit the schools, talk to them about statementing and you will get a feel about how they are re special needs. Good luck xxx
Louise x

• Registered
hi you can request a statement from your authority .. just put in writing that you would like your child to be assessed , also find your nearest parent partnership .. you can google them and then phone them ... they are realy good and will advise you of your rights and the authorities legal requirements.. they will attend meetings with you and advise and ensure your feelings are heard ... the whole process of assessment and findings is on strict time scale and i think the maximum it should take is 28 weeks from start to finish ..
once you have your statement it is a legaly binding document that should ensure your childs need are met ..
good luck

• Administrators
(08-01-2011, 03:08 AM)helen.l.84 Wrote: No school in carmarthen will offer my son this same help until he is statemented, and i do not want to be putting him into a school where he is going to be classed straight away as "the naughty child" and for him to get so far behind because he cannot function in a normal class.
Hi Helen,
The reason the schools will not commit resources until they have a statement in place is about one thing "money"
They believe that with the statement they will get money to provide the services.
I dont think its the wrong idea to have the statement in place as it means the school have a legal requirement to provide services to your child and it could may well be that when he is assessed they identfy additional needs which they can help with.
Also you refer to the statement being a label of a naughty child whereas in fact i think it dispels that idea.

A child with a statement is given support and help and is understood by the teaching staff to having additional needs whereas without the statement they see your son as the little boy with problems so maybe the statement is the opening to getting him the right support.

Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
thankyou all for your replies and help Smile physio and occ health have both mentioned dcd...which i believe is the same but still in the same boat regarding getting my son the help he needs in the classroom. its like fighting a losing battle as i am now being told that i couldnt get my son statemented untill hes 7?? everyone i ask (teacher, health visitor etc) tells me different things and its so frustrating! all im trying to do is do the best for my son.x