• VIP
I've just received some info in the post regarding the brainwave centre - its the first time I've really looked into it and considered it, mainly due to the new centre which is only about an hour and a half away from us.
We currently have home therapy from the CPPC once or twice a year which I'm very happy with, but I do want to push Matty as much as he's willing to learn, whilst he's still young enough to if that makes sense?
Its a LOT of money, but I fund raise pretty much constantly to pay for his therapies anyway, so could step it up a notch.
I like the fact they advertise that they work with the whole family, but my biggest worry is the exercises and how long you are expected to do them for daily - its fine in the school holidays but on school days he literally gets up, has breakfast, medication, gets dressed and is out the door, gets home at half 4, usually v tired, tea an hour later, then bed at 7, not sure where I would fit them in those days!
To those who have been, can you give me more info please? I know its hard to say 'is it worth it' due to the often slower progress, and the need to believe we're all doing everything we can, but as honest opinions as possible please, before I decide whether to take the plunge.
Thanks!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Registered
Hi there my son has been going to brainwave for about four years we find the programe really helpful . They assess your child and speak with you to work out what areas you think your child needs help with. They then work out a programme with exercises and sometimes little games to achieve this. They literally say for example my son does pelvic lifts and he gas to do that for 2 mins. Then you move on altogether it takes about half an hour a day .

I have really enjoyed brainwave please email my personnel email if you would like to know any more samanthabailey01@yahoo.co.uk

• VIP
Thanks Mrst01, that sounds do-able! At one point he was really floppy with no head control, but over the years with NHS and CPPC's physio, he now has full head and trunk control, can sit himself up propping on his arms and sit unaided for a short while, as well as weightbearing on his legs.
I'd LOVE to work towards being able to drink from a cup, and feeding himself, which are the things he doesn't really get that much input with.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• VIP
Hi, we visit Brainwave and it's brilliant, very positive and dedicated to your child. Our programme is about 40 mins per day from set up till finish....but it's well worth it and I find it just gives us two that special time together per day. I find a big improvement in our little girl and within 2 weeks of starting she had this confidence to start saying NO to things she doesnt like and being a bit cheeky!!! It really has been a positive experience for our family.

The only teething problems we had was with our son as she was having this extra attention and I tried to include him but it just took double the time and I lost her concentration. We ended up buying him a TV for upstairs and he watches that while we do the programme!!! Not the best solution but it keeps everybody happy.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart