• Registered
hi everyone, im new here so kind of intro/question in one lol.
my names vicky and my son Connor is 2 and 1/2 and currently under investigation for autism and cannot at the moment talk Sad i started potty training him a few weeks ago now and hes doing really well (at home) but what i wanted to ask was hw do i move him onto the next stage which would be wearing his pants when we go out becuase he dosnt talk he cant tell me he needs to go or i dont even know if he would be aware/understand that toilets exsit outside other than his potty at home if that makes any sense? because at home he just runs to the potty when he needs it! we do use makaton with him and ive tried teachin him the one for toilet but he cant quiet grasp it yet Tongue any advice would b apreciated,
thanks
vicky

• VIP
Hi there
No experience of this but I was on the Cerebra website and saw they had a new book in which might be helpful for you: Ready, Set, Potty!: Toilet Training for Children with Autism and Other Developmental Disorders. If you look on Amazon then you can see inside the book to get an idea if it would be any good for you. The cheapest on there is £10.67 but if you join Cerebra (free) on http://www.cerebra.org.uk then you might be able to borrow from them for a month for free although there might be a waiting list for it.
Hope this helps
Jayne

• VIP
Hi, we had the same problem a few years back! I made a PECS fob that she wore all the time and one of the pictures on it was a toilet, every time she went to the toilet/potty I would point the picture out and say toilet. Over time she started showing the picture before she wanted to go to the toilet...I have seen some autism fobs being sold on eBay, maybe it's worth having a look. I might also be an idea to take the potty out with you the first couple of times as the change of going to the toilet outdoors might be scary for him? Maybe putting the potty on the toilet floor in a cubicle for him to go and hopefully he would start making the conection and understand there are toilets outside the home. Hope this helps. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
Well done for getting this far so young, my DS is 4.9 and we are just getting there. I found the best way to get DS used to the toilet was letting him see me and his dad using it. I've also got a visual aid for him that gives him the order he needs to do things. Pants and trousers down, sit on the toilet, wee or poo, wipe with paper, pants and trousers up, flush toilet, wash hands. This is pictures and words. This has been so useful. He needs to get use to your toilet first before introducing him to ones outside.

He is obsessed with the spelling of the word poo at the moment and spelt it many times over in the swimming pool yesterday! Boys will be boys even with autism. Good luck you're doing really well.

x

• Registered
thankyou all so much for your replies youve given me quiet alot of very useful tips so thankyou will give them all a go and let u know how we get on Smile will definalty look into the book because he loves to be read to (a lil too much!! drives me insane bless him lol) and a freind of mine who has two autistic children is gettin hold of some PECS for me as she can get them for free.
and thankyou chucky i didnt really think about having to get him used to the "big" toilet at home first but i guess sometimes the most obvious things you can over look Smile your lil boy spellin poo in the pool made me smile reminds me of my lil brother who was very similar once he got a new word that was it didnt matter where you were hed say it his most funny one was winkie and he would stand there shouting and pointing at "it" lol