• Registered
(07-25-2011, 07:18 PM)catmul Wrote: Hi. really know where you are coming from. was just like describing my son Malachy who is 5 also. Non verbal, in nappies etc. Mal was diagnosed aged 20 months. Very young but think cause symptoms so evident. My daughter was born 16 months after Mal & I remember noticing the differences in their development & being astounded. We were & still are told he is severe autism. The doctor didn’t diagnose ASD, but Kanners autism or Classic autism, which is on the severe end of the autism spectrum. This isn’t a wildly term used but I found it helpful to research Kanners autism. Maybe you should ask if this is what your son has. And my understanding is that the more severe the autism then the learning difficulty comes in because autism will not hold a child back in all areas so if their development is delayed across the board then that when an associated learning difficulty comes in. My son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD but is not on meds yet. And also has major sensory integration difficulties. Like your son He bites & nips himself and others continuously & also squeezes me mostly round the neck which isn’t the nice! My understanding is that these inappropriate behaviours are sensory lead. Mal is always running jumping spinning etc & that because he is seeking out proprio-ceptive (spelt wrong) sense. The sensory element of autism is very complicated & I read up & seek advise of OTs but really hard to get head around. One time it was explained to me that all senses are buckets which the autistic child works really hard to fill up. Example is seeking out deep pressure by squeezing or fitting into small starts spilling into other senses bucket which cause child to have complete melt down & very distressed. The key is so give the child appropriate sensory input throughout the day to stop themseeking it out themselves because they cant control. Just realised Ive went on a bit!!! Sorry…. Advise I would say is try not and focus on where he is on the spectrum or what his learning difficulty is but rather the essence of the child and what his needs are. Let me know how you’re getting on. Cat

thank you so much for your advice i will defo research that and ask my doctor too ur right its so much to take in regards cheril

• Registered
(07-21-2011, 07:37 PM)petalpie Wrote: Hi there,

I know how you feel, my little man was diagnosed with autism in January. Its his birthday today, he was 3 and had absolutely no clue what was happening and was afraid of his candles and I just feel a little lost tonight.

When my son was diagnosed I asked where he was on the spectrum and the Dr wouldnt give me a straight answer.... I know my son is not mild, he is definately at the severe end, he was non-verbal until a few months back when he started attempting a few words but he doesnt have any functional speech and just leads me by the hand to show me what he wants. Awful social skills, virtually no eye contact and has a routine for everything! He is bright though, he already knows his shapes, colours, numbers to 12 and capital letters, and attempts to say these words but not clearly.

I have heard of children talking later than 5 so there is definately hope that your son will talk...does he have speech therapy?

I would read up on autism, there are alot of good books on amazon which can give you ideas on how to try and help your son.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk some more...hugs...
thank you v much im gunna av a look on amazon now its alot to get my head around hugs to u and ur family thanks again

• Registered
thank u all so much 4 ur advice im v gratefull to you all, and im defo gunna look into it and get some books i may take it in then lol thank u xxx cheril xx