• Registered
I am just in the process of renewing my sons DLA but this time have received a letter saying they are requesting a report from his consultant ! Is this normal have never had it before already supplied 12 pages of my own evidence, prescription list etc and his physio filled in the section Statement from somone who sees the child so think they have all the evidence they need ???

• VIP
Yes it is normal for them to contact at least one medical professional themselves. When I first applied for one of my sons I was told they often contact OTs if there is one as they are able to give them a good idea of functional daily living skills and they like to check with the paediatrician to confirm diagnosis, if things have changed, etc. The only time they didn't check with anyone was when my middle lad's got renewed just after he'd had brain surgery and I sent them about 20 pages of evidence from his 3 consultants. Seems daft but they have to check it themselves just in case someone was to send in a load of fake letters. Don't worry about it.

• Administrators
yes it is completely normal, they usually write to my sons renal doctor as she has the most input with him to confirm all his care needs, i also asked them to write to his general paed last time aswell as he has more to do with his developmental side etc. sometimes you hsve to hurry the docs along as they dont rush with anything and you dont want it dragging so just keep an eye out that they are dealing with it Smile dont worry about it though, its totally normal xx

• Registered
Ok thanks for that !! Thought with all the cuts they are making it was a tactic to stop paying. We are on our third renewal and they have never asked before. It is not like one day we are going to wake up and my son is not going to have Down Syndrome !!! All seems to be such a waste of time !!!

• VIP
(07-16-2011, 09:24 AM)moyser Wrote: I am just in the process of renewing my sons DLA but this time have received a letter saying they are requesting a report from his consultant ! Is this normal have never had it before already supplied 12 pages of my own evidence, prescription list etc and his physio filled in the section Statement from somone who sees the child so think they have all the evidence they need ?

I am applying for DLA for my little boy sammy for the first time and they have done that so maybe it's something that they do now