• Established member
(08-28-2011, 03:46 PM)SusieL66 Wrote:
(07-18-2011, 07:23 AM)wweangelica Wrote: Ben is 5 and has ASD and also mild problems with walking, we had to fight to get moblity and could only get the low rate. If you get high rate moblity you can get a blue badge and a car. We have applied for a blue badge but don't thin that we will have any luck

Hi - Jack is autistic and has global hypotonia so has walking and balance problems. We're still waiting to hear about DLA Mobility (been 9 weeks since we applied!!) but the reason I'm replying to your post is that my friend also applied for DLA mobility for her daughter (who they are still waiting for official diagnosis for but believe she is autistic) she was refused it and is appealing BUT she managed to get a blue badge by using a letter from her GP detailing the problems she has controlling her daughter when out and about and her daughter's lack of understanding and verbal communication. I'm really pleased she got a good result cause it's taking ages for her to get an official diagnosis. May be worth a try for you too. x

Thanks so much for your reply hun, we're still waiting for it all, but i've got the application for the blue badge, so i think i will try and apply for that and put all her copies of reports in. See how we get on. It's just frustrating, as i've chatted to loads of parents online who's children have some major difficulties with walking, lack of understanding danger etc, and they all seem to have loads of problems with claiming any help with mobility side of things. I would love for someone from DLA to take my daughter on an outing to the park, shops, actually anywhere!! See how they deal with her massive meltdowns, she got ran over a month ago, luckily the person saw her and slowed down, or it could've been so much worse and doesn't bear thinking about. Chiara is nearly 6 and has no sense at all, limited speech, would go off with a stranger, has no fear of animals and will get right on their level face to face, so scary!! i think i'll just claim for everything and hopefully will get something :o) xxx

• VIP
Hi, I am STILL waiting for a response from DLA regarding looking at mobility again 34 weeks and counting not to make you feel worse haha. With regards to the blue badge you CAN get one for lack of danger etc and do not take no for an answer I took it above and beyond and fought and fought and spoke to the managers etc and they have finally agreed to give my son one. He has since been diagnosed with far worse things but at the time his only diagnosis was Autism. The only thing is he does use a wheelchair as he is SO unsafe he cannot walk for his or our safety but I know at least three people with autistic children who walk and are a danger to themselves and they all get blue badges. The best thing to get for the blue badge is a letter from the OT and psych if you don't have those yet then try the gp but they do like to have then from psychs as they can explain that although she can walk her disability prevents her from doing so safetly etc. The higher mobility is REALLY hard to get especially for Autism and they want every medical report going my sons doctors have sent reports saying he HAS to use a wheelchair and NEVER goes outside without one and I am still waiting after 34 weeks!! God knows when they will pull their fingers out but I am prepared to take it to tribunal if I have to. I think at the end of the day if you read the guidelines and you can in good faith accept that she fits them then fight for it all the way and REFUSE to be told no xxxx good luck
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• Established member
(08-28-2011, 09:48 PM)lubynoo Wrote: Hi, I am STILL waiting for a response from DLA regarding looking at mobility again 34 weeks and counting not to make you feel worse haha. With regards to the blue badge you CAN get one for lack of danger etc and do not take no for an answer I took it above and beyond and fought and fought and spoke to the managers etc and they have finally agreed to give my son one. He has since been diagnosed with far worse things but at the time his only diagnosis was Autism. The only thing is he does use a wheelchair as he is SO unsafe he cannot walk for his or our safety but I know at least three people with autistic children who walk and are a danger to themselves and they all get blue badges. The best thing to get for the blue badge is a letter from the OT and psych if you don't have those yet then try the gp but they do like to have then from psychs as they can explain that although she can walk her disability prevents her from doing so safetly etc. The higher mobility is REALLY hard to get especially for Autism and they want every medical report going my sons doctors have sent reports saying he HAS to use a wheelchair and NEVER goes outside without one and I am still waiting after 34 weeks!! God knows when they will pull their fingers out but I am prepared to take it to tribunal if I have to. I think at the end of the day if you read the guidelines and you can in good faith accept that she fits them then fight for it all the way and REFUSE to be told no xxxx good luck

Thanks for your response hun. I do feel chiara needs high rate mobility, but we'll see what it comes back with. It is on her notes about her getting run over, and obviously the road sense etc etc, so we'll see what happens. I will fight for what she needs hun. I will apply for the blue badge and see what they have to say, but i will have words if they say no lol. Will let you know how we get on hun xxx

• Moderators
it differs with each council what their criteria is regarding the blue badge same with bus pass with companion on it. when we applied one year they wanted an up to date dla letter stating that he got high rate but getting a letter from dla is hit and miss so his social worker wrote a letter and they accepted that but it was for a renewal not a new one. it is harder when the Children are young as they try and use the excuse that you wouldnt let any 5yr old walk by themselves (which is strange when you see them running around the streets with the eldest barely 8yrs old)

lubyloo, have you tried ringing them and asking what is taking so long? if they are waiting on a report from professionals u could then call them and ask them to send it off. one good thing is its backdated so you not losing anything but you cant move forward until its sorted
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
Hi, we applied for a blue badge about a year ago and it was really straight forward and we received it with 2-3 weeks. Shock horror!!!! Nothing is straight forward but for once it all went to plan, they got in contact with our GP for evidence I think as he was the named person we put down.

As for DLA and Autism we get low on mobility and high on care, we did go to appeal but just didn't have the strength to take it to tribunal, it feels like we are fighting/begging for things all the time! The joys. Lol
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart