• Established member
Hi there, Our 5 year old daughter Chiara has recently been diagnosed with Autism, GDD and ADHD, we are very confused as to what we can claim in way of financial help and also whether we would receive a mobility car, as she is near impossible to walk anywhere, due to her lack of understanding, lack of fear/danger on the road, she is petrified of lorry sounds (well anything louder than the norm) has furious meltdowns. She has recently run out into the road and straight into the side of a car (luckily they saw her and slowed down, it could've been so worse), as she had a meltdown and just ran from us. I just wondered if anyone else has a child with the same or similar, and whether they received the higher rates and car? thanks Carrie xx

• Established member
Hi, Im new to all this but thought Id let you know our situation incase it helps! My son got middle care rate aged 2. My understanding is that children under age 5 or 6 not entitled to mobility eliment unless they get high rate care. My son was diagnosed with severe kanners autism aged 20 months. He is very severe, non verbal, sensory issues & more recently diagnosed with adhd. He was so severe or should a say his behaviours where so challenging that the local early years placement for intervention cut his place from two full days to two one hour sessions each week because he required two staff to manage him. Anyway we got his care element reviewed and they changed it to high rate care which meant we were able to apply for mobility when he was about 3. But I think when child turns 5 then they can get low rate mobility and middle care for example. Child does not need to have high rate to qualify. What care element are you on now?? Hope this helps

• VIP
Hi,
I think you would most certainly qualify for at the very least middle rate care and lower rate mobility. What will distinguish you for the th higher rates is, does your daughter need night and day time care? This means she would get the high rate care awarded, and then does she need supervison at all times, over and above that of an average child (from what youve written yes) and would be at risk if he tried to walk.

My advice is to ring for the application form, I photocopied mine, and then did it through before I was happy. It will be back dated to the date of your call if you ring.

But the criteria are here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10011816

Hope this helps.

• VIP
Just to clarify, my son gets middle rate care but high rate mobility as he fits the criteria set out on the direct gov website, he's 3. This is because hes a non walker, but the criteria also says, you need constant supervision, but not to what rate, this will depend on the level of supervision and the measures needed to address the problems.

• Administrators
i think alot of people do struggle to get the higher rate mobility element with autism, i believe the main barrier is trying to convince who ever is dealing with your claim that your child is not choosing not to walk or run off etc and that because of their disability they are not capable of making that choiceas, they are not consciously able to choose (if that makes sense). The key is in putting as much detail as possible into the form and also getting solid reports from her doctors and other professionals to back you up. I would apply, see what your awarded and then if your not happy and believe you should get more you can appeal or ask them to look again Smile

xx