• VIP
Hi, just wanted some advice from others who have children with both ASD and ADHD diagnosis. I think that my daughter (6 yrs old) who has ASD is also showing signs of ADHD, and lately her behaviour has become uncontrollable at times, but how would i, or even proffesionals know whether it is just part of her autism or whether infact she also does have ADHD? We are awaiting an appointment with her paed regarding her behaviour and her sleep, but i just dont understand how they can differentiate between what causes what as some of the behaviours can be caused by either (i think!)

• Established member
(07-12-2011, 06:45 PM)sarahponari Wrote: Hi, just wanted some advice from others who have children with both ASD and ADHD diagnosis. I think that my daughter (6 yrs old) who has ASD is also showing signs of ADHD, and lately her behaviour has become uncontrollable at times, but how would i, or even proffesionals know whether it is just part of her autism or whether infact she also does have ADHD? We are awaiting an appointment with her paed regarding her behaviour and her sleep, but i just dont understand how they can differentiate between what causes what as some of the behaviours can be caused by either (i think!)

Hi there. Ive just joined sit so not really sure what i am doing! Thought id let you know that my son who is 5 has been diagnosed with adhd recently. Malachy was diagnosed with severe autism learning difficultie at only 20 months. He always has had very challenging behaviour. It was always mentioned that he may have adhd too but that they wouldne really know or do anything about it until he was aged 6 or so. My understanding of it is that they (the professionals!) say that a child with autism will display similar behaviours in early years as adhd. (hyeractivity & no attention) but when they go to school with such high structure & real established boundries majority of children settle & cope better in that environment. So environment can have effect on the autistic child but the child with both despite the structure etc the child still can 'cope' & 'settle' because the environment does not help the child with adhd because its a physical brain condition that only meds can help. Hope this makes sense! It was really the school that drove the diagnoses for adhd because after two full years Mal still wasnt settling despite having a one to one in school & really high structure. He also has severe sensory issues which def does affect his behaviour. Although we have the diganoses he is not yet on meds. We are told tat it will only take the edge off! the hyperactivity but that he needs lots of sensory intergration work also. Basically that the meds is no way a quick fix. I think what youll be asked is is she displaying same behaviours in school that you have saw at home?? Because a child with adhd will not be able to only do it at home & choose not to do it at school if you know what I mean. Hope Ive been of some help to you!

• Established member
My son is 5 and has recently been diagnosed with ADHD. He was diagnosed with severe autism & severe learning difficulty at 20 months and we were always told that he may have adhd but we had to with and see how he got on at school. my unerstanding is this. that autistic children will display similar behaviours of those of adhd but the evironment will help the autistic child but no the adhd child. High structure routine and boundries at school should help settle the child who only has autism but if despite the high structure etc if the child continues to be extremly hyperactive & impulsive then there may be something else as well of the autism. That when adhd comes in. So basically the school drove my sons diagnoses because after two full years at school Malachy was still not able to control his behaviour. He also has sensory issues which complicates diagnoses too. a child with adhd will not be able to control their behaviour. So if your daughter is only being challenging at home and not at school then they (the proffesionals!) will say that its autism thats causing her behaviours because the structure at school helps calm her. but if her teacher is in agreement with you and feels that no matter how much visuals & struture theyhave for her she still is hyper & impulsive then it may be adhd. My son is not on meds yet. Weve been told that really it will only take the edge of the hyeractivity but it will not stop it all together. Hope Ive been of some help. Cat

• Established member
I am new to this and i have tried replying to you twice but dont tink I have posted it correctly! Did you get a response from me?? Dont know what I am doing wrong!

• Moderators
(07-12-2011, 08:20 PM)catmul Wrote: I am new to this and i have tried replying to you twice but dont tink I have posted it correctly! Did you get a response from me?? Dont know what I am doing wrong!

you are ok, sometimes it wont show up straight away but usually does, u are better than me Big Grin if my post hasnt appeared i dont have patience to write it all out again especially if its a long one. there are 3 of us on here that delete any double posts we come across so it doesnt make a thread too full

sarah
i wondered since joining here if matt has adhd as well as autism but when he was young they tended to stop if they had one diagnosis but he has always struggled to stay on task even at school and is never still even when sitting (amongst other things) but as he is now 18 i would have no chance of giving him meds even if they would make a difference but having a diagnosis makes things easier when at school or seeing a doctor as they can work around situations and find ways to help them stay on task. matt had a giant egg timer that when the sand ran out (10 mins) he could leave the table and do what he wanted whether it be running up and down the stairs or going outside but this didnt happen till he was about 14 and he had a teacher that found ways to work with him
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.