• Registered
Hello Everyone,

Newbie here, hoping you'll be able to help me and hopefully i can do the same for you one day!

I was wanting to buy the Leckey Early Activity System for my daughter and was wondering if anyone was familiar with it and had noted positive results from it?

I only ask as our physio service is seriously lacking and despite my little one not being able to lift head from prone, crawl or walk etc. at 18 months old they still feel its appropriate that she no longer receives physio after just 8 months (most of which was cancelled or fortnightly visits).

She's still entitled to the equipment they've loaned her but without the highchair she wouldn't be able to eat at all so they cant justify removing it otherwise i suspect they would have.

I should mention that she has no diagnosis but she has ventriculmegaly and she is severely delayed and due to conductive hearing loss soon after birth she cannot communicate verbally. She received hearing aids two weeks ago and we are thrilled at being able to finally talk to her but other areas of her cares are seriously lacking and whilst other care providers involved agree with me, they're all too frightened of losing their jobs to back me up and go on record saying so. My daughter also has a visual impairment the extent of which we don't know and because of her ingrowing eyelashes they cannot assess her properly yet.

- Sorry this wasn't supposed to be such a long winded post but i wanted you to have a background as to why im wanting to buy this privately, im told many PCTs use leckey equipment but mine don't and im using her backdated DLA money to pay for this myself. Otherwise we wouldn't have a hope of getting her one as they're so expensive, we waited 12 months for her to receive DLA as it is but thats a different story lol..

Hope you & yours are all well... Much love, Mum x

• VIP
Hi its awful how our little one's are let down . My son still has no diagnose although he still got physio and all he is let down by his big doctors .

I'm unsure of that equipment , but there is a charity called New Life that is run by nurses and its really good . I think you can fill in the form yourself even if someone else can back it up for you . Its pretty fast as well . They will look at it and then a nurse will contact you and ask few questions . I'd got a walkie for my son from them . Although he never took to it , so it was given to an other child who it has helped .

Have a look at their website http://www.newlifecharity.co.uk/ .

Hope you get something sorted out x
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• VIP
hi, i it is so frustrating knowing there are things you would like to try for a child with additional needs - but they are not avalible.
i have bought my son many items designed for special needs - some have worked, some have not - but i have never regretted the buying of them. keep your enthusiasm and desire to do your best for your little one and they will achieve so much more than you imagined.
i have seen the leckey -and it looks fun! definatly adaptable as she grows too. x

• Registered
Thank you to both of you for your advise.

I'm willing to try anything i can, I only wish i could afford to get her all the things she needs without worrying about the cost but unfortunately it wasn't me who won euromillions lol.

Thank you for the link to the newlife site, i'll try my luck and see what happens!

• VIP
hi, just got a catolouge from "A special needs supplier". i had never heard of them before - but they do great sensory and play equipment, they have all sorts of things to put on a wish list. lol x