• Registered
Dummy Advice Please. I have a 5 year old boy with Down Syndrome who uses a dummy most of the time i have tried to stop him using one but it is a nightmare and a battle i just cant face at the moment. My main problem is that he bites holes in them all the time and will cry and cry until he gets another one so as you can imagine we are going through loads does anyone have any ideas or know any dummys that are a bit harder and wont just be bitten through !!!!!

• Moderators
hiya
have you tried chew toys with him? i dont mean dog ones u can get ones for children it might just be the comfort of chewing on something. when i was trying to get matt away from dummies i had a little stick on hook on the door and would get him to put it there before we left the house and he always knew where it was (but keep a spare one in handbag for emergencies hehe) and after a while he forgot to collect it back off the door when he came home again
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
Hi my son was going through so many dummys as well , was one a day . I just took him off it and after a few days he was fine and best thing I did as he isnt as manic with putting stuff in his mouth . I looked every where to find ideas about a dummy and got no where ,hope you find something that will help you xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• Registered
(07-01-2011, 12:36 PM)corinne Wrote: hiya
have you tried chew toys with him? i dont mean dog ones u can get ones for children it might just be the comfort of chewing on something. when i was trying to get matt away from dummies i had a little stick on hook on the door and would get him to put it there before we left the house and he always knew where it was (but keep a spare one in handbag for emergencies hehe) and after a while he forgot to collect it back off the door when he came home again
corinne

I have tried the chew toys but it is definately a sucking issue. He has really bad reflux and were told early on to use a dummy to help keep things down !!! Think i need shares in Advent or try and buy dummy's in bulk !!!

• VIP
I had the same issue...but now I started giving him the tesco dummies (6-18 months). They are much harder than the avent ones. These at least last a couple of weeks as opposed to the avent ones which he used to chew up in a couple of days. They are cheaper as well.