• VIP
Hi i had an ot assement done for Lucie, however although the OT agrees there is a safety issue she is refussing to apply for the grant as she says it will be turned down because Lucie can
walk. Her suggestion is to install a camera in her bedroom for us to watch her at all times. Lucie is 9 years old and i believe this is an invasion of her privacy. If Lucie wasnt disabled and we put a camera into her bedroom and monitered her 24/7 we would be called perverts. My husband is particularly uneasy about this as well as i work upto 4 nights a week and he said the thought of people thinking he was watching Lucie on a camera over night makes him feel ill.
I need to know if what the OT is saying is true, or do i haver the right to fight for an application to be made so it can be turned down officially if they believe that Lucie is not eligable so that we can at leaset then appeal?
Louise x

• VIP
To say you would be turned down for the DFG for your daughter because she can walk is not true, the DFG can be used if a child walks but is a danger to themselves or others, due to their disability. It can be used in many ways, but is well regulated. Some things can be difficult to proove and you will need your OT onside to do it. The DFG are unlikely to pay for a camera in her room.
What would you like to do for her? Get a clear idea in your mind of what you think is best for her, then start to fight.
Here in Plymouth its the Major Adaptations Team at the city council. You are welcome to ring them without a referal and ask what they will and won't do and get advice. I got the number from my OT, but this number is readily available by looking on our councils website and looking at the services available. Should hopefully be the same where you are, But as we all know its a real postcode lottery!!

Hope this helps.

Maria x

• Registered
(06-29-2011, 10:44 PM)luciesmum1 Wrote: Hi i had an ot assement done for Lucie, however although the OT agrees there is a safety issue she is refussing to apply for the grant as she says it will be turned down because Lucie can
walk. Her suggestion is to install a camera in her bedroom for us to watch her at all times. Lucie is 9 years old and i believe this is an invasion of her privacy. If Lucie wasnt disabled and we put a camera into her bedroom and monitered her 24/7 we would be called perverts. My husband is particularly uneasy about this as well as i work upto 4 nights a week and he said the thought of people thinking he was watching Lucie on a camera over night makes him feel ill.
I need to know if what the OT is saying is true, or do i haver the right to fight for an application to be made so it can be turned down officially if they believe that Lucie is not eligable so that we can at leaset then appeal?
Louise x
Hello Lucies mum i want to make a reply this am i doing this right

• Registered
Hello to Lucies mum, it looks like the OT is assuming you will constantly be in the house to watch your child, they should not make this assumption, plus this is only an excuse for not providing what you want. Can you be a more specific with what you think would help please.

Also I do know that cameras have been installed for children who may be at risk of choking when they are in bed but this was supplied with other things too, ie bathroom extension etc. DFG is available not just for people who cannot walk, it is used for all sorts of disabilities but the problem is you have to really fight for it and make a good case. If you give us more details im sure others on here could help.

• VIP
Hi guys, we live in a bungalow which we brought with one bedroom upstairs, what we want is for the DFG to pay for another room upstairs so that Lucies room is next to our own. We have no option of moving to the other downstairs room as we currently have our other 2 children sharing that room, and as our room has slopped cilings and an onsuite it would not be feesible or safe for them to go upstairs.
Maria i have tried ringing the council but the lady i spoke to was really rude and said if my OT said no, then that is the answer! I feel really heated to be honest as i ahve asked for nothing in the 9 years since Lucie was born. I work full time as does my husband, but this seems to give us less rights than parents who aren't working (dont get me wrong i'm not saying they don't deserve it, what i mean by that is that these OTs and social workers think that as we're working that we can afford it! Not so, we have a massive mortgage and all our other bills, our outgoings are nearly £3000 per month! All i ask is that they convert the other side of our loft into a bedroom, i really dont like the idea of a camera, but was told that t is the safest option, in my opinon its invading Lucies privacy, especially considering she is now 9. I suppose im going to have to steady myself for a fight!