• Registered
Well, to be honest, I don't know what level he's at but all I can say is he's came on alot in the past year. A year and a half ago, he stood in the corner and wouldn't say two words, now he will get by with small three word sentences, but still says alot of gobbledigook. Still repeats what you say, etc.. He will tolerate children being around him now but will not play with them more alongside them. He knows all his colours and shapes, can count to 20 on a good day, can memorise phone numbers, adverts and even programmes off the telly, I would say he has mild to moderate learning difficulties (but that's just my biased opinion as his mother!).

All his reports all say one thing in common, that he will progress very well in a small structured environment.

I should have said, I've just been to see an S&L unit and was impressed as the class sizes are very small (6 to a class), plus he has an individual support plan, as all Children are different in the unit. My concern is he will go to mainstream school on a Friday into a class of 26 or more Children, so how will he cope?? and gradually he will integrate more until he's fully integrated at 8. Right now he has very unpredictable behaviour and like alot of autistic Children doesn't like change. But I know though that as he gets older like everyone he will have to learn to cope with change in his life.
I need a large one 54

• VIP
hi my son doesnt have autism but as some autistic tendancies, he is 5 with severe speech and language disorder, with no danger awareness and little understanding etc, he as been attending a speech and language unit since october, it is attached to a mainstream school but the unit itself caters for up to 8 children giving my son 1 2 1 all day everyday including lunch breaks etc which is a huge weight off my mind, my husband works in a residential unit which is attached to a autistic school, the robert ogden(i believe its the largest autistic school in england?) he sometimes works in there as a asssistant but it really does depend on your childs individual needs and how severe his autism is, the speech and language unit works well for my son and meets all his needs that mainstream school couldnt
kerry x

• Registered
(01-20-2010, 08:40 PM)kerryh86 Wrote: hi my son doesnt have autism but as some autistic tendancies, he is 5 with severe speech and language disorder, with no danger awareness and little understanding etc, he as been attending a speech and language unit since october, it is attached to a mainstream school but the unit itself caters for up to 8 children giving my son 1 2 1 all day everyday including lunch breaks etc which is a huge weight off my mind, my husband works in a residential unit which is attached to a autistic school, the robert ogden(i believe its the largest autistic school in england?) he sometimes works in there as a asssistant but it really does depend on your childs individual needs and how severe his autism is, the speech and language unit works well for my son and meets all his needs that mainstream school couldnt
kerry x

Hi Kerry, thanks, yeah that was what attracted me to the S&L the fact that he would have one to one too. Calum also has no danger awareness, I'm not sure how much understanding he has, I presume the more his speech comes on then they will know how much understanding he has.

Will you're boy be integrated gradually into mainstream also??
I need a large one 54

• Banned
teejay my son daniel his speech has came on leaps and bounds since moving to this school for complex needs, and he is in a smaller class as he cant cope with bigger groups.

• Registered
(01-20-2010, 08:54 PM)Karen Wrote: teejay my son daniel his speech has came on leaps and bounds since moving to this school for complex needs, and he is in a smaller class as he cant cope with bigger groups.

Karen, has Daniel always been at this school or was he ever in mainstream?? Does he get SALT in his school??
I need a large one 54