• Registered
Hi
My son is 6 and has fragile x syndrome. The other day when I picked him up from school one of his teachers told me that he has had a moment of being completely unresponsive for about 30 seconds just before dinner time and to keep an eye on him.

I am aware that about 15-20% of boys with fragile x develop epilepsy and I am wondering if this may have been a petit mal seizure, which I know is less common but can occur in children with fragile x.

Does anyone have experience of this kind of seizure?

Thanks
Bev

• VIP
hi, my son is 3 and we are awaiting full genetic results. have been told they've found abnormality of x cromosome and have long suspected fragile x, it just fits alfie. for as long as can remember he's had what i
would describe as momentary absenses. for about 20-30 seconds he just drifts, stares and is unresponsive usually calling his name a few times brings him back round. as he's got older they have got less frequent and its usually now when he's lying on his back and he will just go and he and twitches slightly. iv'e mentioned this many times to various doctors and never get much of a response but his genetic consultant now wants him to go for an E.E.G. if your concerned i would ask for one too if only for your peace of mind and to know what your dealing with x
were all angels in waiting!!

• Registered
At the moment, he's still only happened that one time, I've mentioned it to his consultant and he sait if it happened again to go back and see him. It may have simply just been a dayream, but i'm certainly keeping an eye on things.
Thanks Smile

• Registered
Hi i just saw this msg my son has had tests done for fragile x and we are waiting to hear back as he has absenses only for a few seconds he has had an EEG but came back normal it does not happen very often and is for a few seconds it doesnt seem to bother him and we just keep an eye on it