• Registered
(07-05-2011, 08:26 AM)lexie lamb Wrote: hi, my son is also a hair puller, he nips as well. we think its a sign of frustration he is also non verbal he used to swipe at one particular little girl and pull her hair but nursery staff felt it was because she squeeled and he liked her reaction. we had the input of cahms and basically they used distraction techniques and no reaction at all to his behaviour. he still does it though not as often and more when he is tired and fighting his sleep the same as his pinching when that gets too much we put gloves on him, that may seem harsh but its the only solution i have had comments on the marks on my arms i look like i have been taking drugs ha ha

• Registered
Thanks for your replies.
Corinne- to be knowledge she has never really been hurt back. She has been pushed in which case she just pulls hair again! Part of me thinks it would do her good for someone to really yank her hair back.
meagain-There is no indication that she is going to do it. One minute cuddling or holding hands the next pulling hair!. It is worse when she is tired but really it happens constantly.
Lexielamb - My daughter seems very similar to your son. She too has started biting. It is so hard to do any distration techiniques because you can't predict when it will happen!
Our protage worker and nursery nurse from the child development centre are both going in to nursery to observe her...not sure what advice they will be able to give
thanks again...any more suggestions welcome!

• Registered
can i just jump in here too, my son is almost two soon, he is in the early monitoring stages, has hypixic ischemia encelopathy. god long word. However, although we have a cdc team, my son neither walks nor talks, just ssays a few doudle babble words. he has started really getting aggressive at times, he really pulls his mums hair, bites nips, he strong. I know all toddlers can go through periods, but should we me or you be more concerned considering, we all have children with complex needs, and varying disabilities. My family ie mum, says oh it just normal, but believe me he gets wild and vicious, to point i have to prise him off his little sister, or mum. oh also he has bit and pulled his hair few times.

i wish i could give you an answer, but i am hoping to get one myself, but i feel they will say it nothing.

• Registered
Hi.

I can only assume they are looking for a way to get their frustrations out so I would suggest getting them to knock down some lego or something like that- something that it is fun but they are able to vent as well.