• Registered
Hi there,

Some 4 or 5 years ago we got a grant to have a downstairs bedroom & wetroom built as my son is severely disabled and no longer able to get upstairs.

The setup is great with, as I say, a wetroom and ceiling track hoist and a profiling bed for him.

The issue is that, as his disability is progressive, my wife and I are now uncomfortable leaving him alone downstairs as we may be unaware of any issues he has during the night while we sleep upstairs. It was fine when he first moved downstairs, but not any more.

As a consequence we are considering moving house and getting a property with more than one downstairs bedroom, or space to build something appropriate to our combined needs.

I am concerned that if I do this the department we got the grant from may demand that we repay a large chunk of money at the time we sell which may compromise the purchase of the next property. Please understand I am not into empire building or trying to rip off a government department here, but I want to know what I am obliged to repay

Thanks

MD

• VIP
Hi,
As far as I understand, this varys area to area, so I will tell you what the score is here in Plymouth.

Here, Its the DFG that grants adaptations. Any adaptation which is below £5000 in price leaves no charge on your property and you are free to move.
If however it cost more than £5000 you would have had the council register a charge on your property so they are notified if you move, any time up to 10 years after the adaptations were made. So in that time Yes they can make you repay part or all of the grant. After the 10 years the charge is dropped, your free to move.
HOWEVER, your best bet is to phone them and talk your new needs through with them. As your now half way through the ten year period and your sons condition is progressive, my DFG advisor said if our needs were to suddenly change or we had problems, contact them and talk it through. They are there to help (even if it feels like red tape and annoyance) and they can re-use things like tracking etc, which means they save money. They will look at the whole situation and if you are compromising your sons safety then they are obliged to look at your situation.

Hope this helps some.

• Established member
When we got adaptations done on my mum's house there was an agreement in place if the property was sold within 5 years the grant had to be paid back.
Linda x

• VIP
(06-24-2011, 10:49 AM)meggiedude Wrote: Hi there,

Some 4 or 5 years ago we got a grant to have a downstairs bedroom & wetroom built as my son is severely disabled and no longer able to get upstairs.

The setup is great with, as I say, a wetroom and ceiling track hoist and a profiling bed for him.

The issue is that, as his disability is progressive, my wife and I are now uncomfortable leaving him alone downstairs as we may be unaware of any issues he has during the night while we sleep upstairs. It was fine when he first moved downstairs, but not any more.

As a consequence we are considering moving house and getting a property with more than one downstairs bedroom, or space to build something appropriate to our combined needs.

I am concerned that if I do this the department we got the grant from may demand that we repay a large chunk of money at the time we sell which may compromise the purchase of the next property. Please understand I am not into empire building or trying to rip off a government department here, but I want to know what I am obliged to repay

Thanks

MD

Why not buy a camera you will be able to see and hear him through the night.Our daughter is severely disabled also and we have always had a camera because she has so many seizures.

• VIP
A camera would be a brilliant way to keep an eye him.

I don't know anything about the grants but If your still set on moving maybe a bungalow would be more suitable long term.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux