• VIP
hi all we have just found out we are having a boy this is our 3rd baby our oldest who is a boy and is 7 has autism and i was wondering what are the chances of our new baby boy having autism as well. we have a daughter who is 3 and she is fine no problems with her at all we was talking about the chances earlier and i was wondering if anybody has some advice xx

• VIP
hello, i'm not sure how it works with autism, but my daughter was born fine yet my son was born with several problems one of which is stopping breathing and needing to be rescucitated. I don't think autism is genetic. Sorry couldn't be more help xx
Heart Mum to Abigail 8 & Matthew 4. He stops breathing & needs to be resucitated. Has Bulbar Palsy & was born with a hole in his stomach, has mic-key tube fitted. Matt has heart/lung problems and is also tube-fed.

Hi,

I have a nearly 3 year old with autism so I assume you are more worried now you know you are having a boy as autism is more common in boys. As far as I'm aware there are no statistics about the probability of siblings having autism although it is thought to sometimes run in families.

If you believe your son having autism was just one of those things or due to birth and you have no other people in your families that have autism or aspergers, I would think the chances would be low. But thats just my opinion of course.

I suspect my eldest has Aspergers from being premature but isnt diagnosed and my husband now thinks he has Aspergers too and that is why our son has autism. They have different dads so my daughters possible aspergers isnt through my husband if you know what I mean.

I know its easier said than done but just try and relax and enjoy your pregnancy, what will be will be Smile

Hope I've helped a little xx
Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.

• VIP
Hi, congratulations. I was told on a course with the NAS not so long ago that the chances are 1 in 8 for another with Autism........but again they don't know for sure what causes Autism!!! Our little girl has Autism but our boy who is 11 months younger is Neuro Typical and doing well in school etc, but do look at the positive although I bet you are really worried. I only asked the question on the course as we are considering another in the future, but I do believe these things happen for a reason and we have been chosen to raise them. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
thank u all for ur replies im only worried because it took us 4 years 2 finally get our sons diagnosis he went through hell to get the support that he has now and we went through a tough time as a family as well. we just dont want to see our new son go through what our eldest son did it broke our hearts to see him go through what he did obviously we know what sign to look out for now but no matter what we will love this new baby boy as much as we love our other 2 x