• Established member
hi , any advice really .. my son was 1st put on a SEN back in 2001 when he was just 6 yrs old , which was delayed back then .

anyway , my son Thomas just turned 16 end of Feb 2011 , he is due to leave his special needs highschool on the 24th June , trouble is we don't have a place yet for him .. thomas's statement was due to go to the assessments & monitoring team panel today , but its been put back until the 30th June ( after Thomas leaves education ) , we would like Thomas to attend a special needs 6th form which deals with autistic children , Thomas would also like to attend this school he is very happy with it and he is able to cope with the place he was confident when he went to visit .

Trouble started when Thomas had his usual annual review in November 2010 , i never agreed what the SENCO had written in his AR5 form , so i had to appeal and we had to have another review set up to amend it etc ... the SENCO had put in the wrong choice of college that would be suitable for Thomas before Thomas had been to see the other schools & colleges ( long story ) .. anyway we thought this new review of thomas's statement would of been in Jan 2011 , then Feb 2011 came and went , then march 2011 came and went .. then finally we had the new review on the 1st of April , but we had missed the end of April assessment & monitoring team panel meeting so it may have been may but no .. it was June the 9th , i rang them today and its been put back again to the 30th June .

im totally terrified and don't know what to expect , will Thomas get his place at the school we want him to go , it was agreed because of the amount of care and support Thomas needs and his poor lack of social skills Thomas needs an extra 2 years in full time education ( keeping his SEN report on going ) .. the assessment & monitoring team are contacting the 6th form on Monday to see if Thomas can have a place and they are happy to support Thomas and his needs . Thomas wants to go to this 6th form and is very happy with it , its quite similar to the special needs school he is at now , but this one deals more with autistic children etc .

any advice really , Thomas has been to visit other colleges etc , but they are not suitable for thomas's needs , well not as yet .

has this happened to anyone ? ..

thanks for your help in advance .

ps/ hope you can understand my long message .

• VIP
Hi - I'm probably not going to be much use as my little boy is only 3 and just started nursery school this January - he is also autistic.

My only advice would be to ring the college yourself tomorrow - don't wait for the Panel to do it (let them still ring on Monday) - and explain how worried you are that Thomas's assessment has been delayed and that he was SO happy when he visited the 6th form there that you feel it may set him back if he has to go elsewhere!

Even at my little boy's age I've quickly learnt not to wait for any 'professional' to do their thing - If I feel I've waited too long for something to happen I try to get it sorted myself.

Can I just say that I feel really encouraged by your son. The fact that he is going onto higher education is brilliant!! I worry so much that Jack won't do very well at school, I find it hard to imagine what the future will hold for him. Lots of luck -and get on that phone tomorrow. Please let us know what happens. xx

• VIP
good luck, I'm lucky cause the school Ben is at he cam stop there until he is 19 which is great. What have the school said
good luck, I'm lucky cause the school Ben is at he cam stop there until he is 19 which is great. What have the school said

• Established member
(06-13-2011, 11:21 AM)wweangelica Wrote: good luck, I'm lucky cause the school Ben is at he cam stop there until he is 19 which is great. What have the school said

UPDATE : - GREAT NEWS !!
hello everyone , just had some great news , Thomas has got his place at the 6th form special needs school which is really excellent . Thomas will remain on his special needs statement for another 2 years , the LEA ( assessments & monitoring team ) they just needed to hear from the 6th form school that Thomas has got his place there . Thomas will be going on 2-3 taster days and to a few activities to get him ready when he starts in September , so hopefully a good transition .

thankyou everyone for your kind and wonderful messages xx

• Established member
thomas has got his place in the school he wants , all went well .. i think because i rang them about 4-5 times must have pushed it along a bit .. i had to try and push it because his last day of school was 24th june and thomas's needed to know . but all is well now .. thankyou everyone for your kind message's ..