• Established member
what is the pros and cons of gettng a formal diagnoisis josh has aspergers traites and that is it should i push or leave it he is only 5 and they said i cant get a diagnoisis till hes over 7 im just fed up of fighting should i just leave it and what will be will be or should i fight what is better if he gets a diagnoisis i get alot of help from school now would i get more anyone got any answers
thanks in advance

• VIP
Why can't you get a diagnosis till he's over 7? My son was diagnosed with autism before his 3rd birthday. My first port of call was to our Health Visitor and she then kind of took over, referring us to our GP then we got a referral to a Peadiatrician and it when from there really.

So far we haven't had any 'cons' (apart from the numerous appointments and health professionals visiting us at home - though it's hardly a con as they were all helping us to help Jack). The pros far outweigh the cons for us. We've had loads of support and in January Jack started at a nursery that can offer him one to one support every day (it's a mainstream education nursery). If I hadn't had a diagnosis I probably would have had to fight harder to get Jack into that particular nursery as it's 10 miles from our home. We are also just going through the statementing process to, hopefully, identify and secure asistance for Jack when he starts school.

I'd just say contact your Health Visitor or GP and express your concerns and ASK for a referral. It'll be one poor GP that refuses it!! Lots of luck. xx

• Established member
already been seeing doc since he was 2and last appotment was when he was 5 when he was diagnoised with traites of aspergers but they dont like to label them untill there 7 unless they show enough signs but i dont no anybody here whos child werent 7 just the way they sad its done here dont know whether to leave it or keep fighting he already gets loads of support at school etc so dont know what extra he would get

• VIP
A proper diagnoses will most definately change the help you recieve & are entilted to!my youngest Samuel is only 16mths old but until we recieved his blood test results about 2wks ago confirming that he has the same rare genetic disoder as his older brother he was just being put down to a slow developer!!We have now been offered Portage,physio therapy & seeing CDT every 6mths.It will also help towards any grants,funding & benefits your son could be entitled to!!Good luck Cx
mummy to two special lil boys (7yrs & 18mths) & 1 very grown up 5yr old princess!!
"Children with disabilities are like butterflies with a broken wing. They are just as beautiful as all others, but they need help to spread their wings"