• Registered
Hi there,
This is my first post but, from lurking on here for a while, it seems a great place to get advice.
My youngest DD has severe mental disabilities due to a global developmental delay. We have been offered a place at our preferred special needs scool, which is fantastic. However, we have now received a very long transport application form and, as I was previously told that only age and distance came into consideration, I am surprised that transport may not be a given.
Does anyone have any experience with this? The form says we can't give reasons of having to take another sibling to school or work commitments as a basis for needing transport but what other reasons could I give? I have a car but the special needs school is over 4 miles away and my eldest DD has to get to school at the same time (her school is just round the corner.)
The other option is to put my eldest into breakfast club, and after school clubs, but I feel this would be far too long a day for her.
I would also love to know if it is five days a week transport or nothing as I could pick up my youngest and take her in some days of the week.
Any help much appreciated as I have to send the report in imminently.
Thanks x

• VIP
Send it in, we are in a very similar situation. My son attends a special needs school about 4 miles away, and as we have 2 other children (one at nursery, one at primary school) it would be a big struggle getting them all there on time without the transport, even though both myself and my husband have cars.
I'm pretty certain that your daughter would be accepted, isn't there a 3 mile thing for transport? Anyway I remember having to fill the form in but there were no issues.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Registered
(06-10-2011, 10:23 AM)mummy_of_matty Wrote: Send it in, we are in a very similar situation. My son attends a special needs school about 4 miles away, and as we have 2 other children (one at nursery, one at primary school) it would be a big struggle getting them all there on time without the transport, even though both myself and my husband have cars.
I'm pretty certain that your daughter would be accepted, isn't there a 3 mile thing for transport? Anyway I remember having to fill the form in but there were no issues.

Thanks! That's very reassuring. I sent the form in on Weds, registered post. Hopefully I will hear by early next week so that I can accept the place. I will just be relieved when it is all sorted x

• VIP
when my little boy first went to his special school, we didn't have any transport forms to fill in.
i'm sure your daughter will be accepted cause of your other daughter

• VIP
Hi yes there is a thing about 3mile's for transport , if its further then they should be able to collect your child. Good luck and hope it all works out x
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012