• VIP
just after some advice please, coming up to the one month deadline to appeal against DLA decision and my sons O.T. has just been out to visit and thinks he has been warded the wrong rate care component. rang a benefits helpline and they all so think it may be wrong. he has been awarded middle rate care but he needs care through the night. he starts off in his cot and sleeps in a very strange position which means we have to check on him every 20 mins and after about 3 hours he wakes up very distressed coz hes sore and stiff we then have to put him into our bed where one of us sleeps all night with our arm round him to prevent him getting in the same position and because he can bottom shuffle and has no understanding and will just fall of the end. the problem is i put that he needed constant supervision though the night but didnt elaborate (i know how stupid) and also at the time his O.t has suggested trying him on a mattress on the floor which didnt work out coz he still managed to fall and hurt himself. sorry its such a long winded one but dose anyone think its worth appealing ?
were all angels in waiting!!

• VIP
Can your ot not provide you with a sleep system to help keep your son in a good position all night? How do you sleep if you must check on him every 20 mins? Its not realistic for anyone to do that all night on a regular basis without becoming unwell themselves.

Does your child have a condition that causes his bad sleeping pattern and pain?
Carrie x

• VIP
Hi, I would appeal as it must be very hard for you to be up and down like this all night. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
Th official line of the difference between high rate and middle is, does the child need night time care. So I would most certainly appeal. Also, Carrie is right, look into a sleep system, my Sammy sleeps in positions which cause problems and pain. We've mananged to keep it at bay with lifting the head of his bed. But sleep systems are more intrusive and work instead of you holding him.

• VIP
Hi my son just got his DLA review and he got high rate as he is hypermobility and gets stuck in the cot as your son he doesnt sleep in right way and moves about all night and gets stressed out and i've to go into him. I would appeal it . I didnt go into loads of details , just took the worst night and kept writing it over and over again any where that it said about my son , also he is low muscle tone so that doesnt help at bedtime either , good luck x
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012